Need to recover files after 18.3 32bit to 18.3 64bit installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ScottyB0y

Need to recover files after 18.3 32bit to 18.3 64bit installation

Post by ScottyB0y »

Toshiba Satellite A505, Intel Core-2 Duo CPU, 4GB RAM, 300GB HDD, has been running exclusively Linux Mint 32bit since early 2012. I upgraded from 18.2 32bit to 18.3 32bit just to get the improved Backup Tool in order to do a DVD backup of my home directory. The backup onto DVD appeared to work with no problems, but after successfully doing a fresh install on 18.3 64bit "Sylvia", I attempted to use Backup Tool to restore the files. No go. The DVD R disk showed as "blank DVD", containing nothing, for several attempts to restore.

After learning this, I stopped everything with respect to this laptop. I only installed what came with the ISO, nothing else. Any suggestions as to how (and if) I can recover the data files? Any and all help will be appreciated. (BTW, my only reason for changing from 32 to 64bit is to use RAWTherapee to work with Fujifilm RAF files; RAWTherapee is one of the few open source RAW tools that support RAF files.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Need to recover files after 18.3 32bit to 18.3 64bit installation

Post by kukamuumuka »

ScottyB0y wrote: The DVD R disk showed as "blank DVD", containing nothing, for several attempts to restore.
Copy DVD as an image and mount that image using disk-mounter. An example:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=backup.img

apt install gnome-disk-image-mounter

gnome-disk-image-mounter
ScottyB0y

Post by ScottyB0y »

I followed the procedure given by administrollaatori, above, and found that the backup DVD contains no files whatsoever. Is there software available which can retrieve the files from the newly formatted HDD, so long as they have not been overwritten?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

TestDisk/PhotoRec will recover anything that hasn't been overwritten. Get it here:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

It is available for most operating systems, and is also available on many "live" rescue CDs:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Livecd
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Installation & Boot”