[SOLVED] Installing Linux Mint 18.3 on existing Windows XP / Ubuntu 12.04

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
prestonR

Re: Installing Linux Mint 18.3 on existing Windows XP / Ubuntu 12.04

Post by prestonR »

:D
I can see sda2 in gparted (see attached), I can't see it in the Linux Mint filemanager
You can. If you followed the instructions sda2 is your new Mint install, your mounted 'file system', your new 'home' folder, 'Desktop', 'Downloads', all this is now your sda2 partition. As you can see when you look at sda2 in your Gparted screen shot, a fresh Mint install takes just over 5GB of space, your old Ubuntu had occupied about 8.5GB.

If you backed up to sda3 then this is where the backed up files should be, on the 48GB 'device'. And they are; before there was about 25GB free space and now there are only 18GB left on sda3.

Remember, the 24GB sda2 partition does not only hold your Mint system but also Mint's 'home' folder (and not only a link), so if you allow 10GB for the system you shouldn't let Mint's 'home' folder grow much bigger than 10GB or you might run short of space on sda2. Ideally, put a new folder in Mint's home folder '2ndHomeOnSDA3', link that to 'gary' on sda3 and use that for bigger files.

Anyway, well done, glad it worked out well, all the best.
gkaucher

Post by gkaucher »

prestonR wrote::D
I can see sda2 in gparted (see attached), I can't see it in the Linux Mint filemanager
You can. If you followed the instructions sda2 is your new Mint install, your mounted 'file system', your new 'home' folder, 'Desktop', 'Downloads', all this is now your sda2 partition. As you can see when you look at sda2 in your Gparted screen shot, a fresh Mint install takes just over 5GB of space, your old Ubuntu had occupied about 8.5GB.

If you backed up to sda3 then this is where the backed up files should be, on the 48GB 'device'. And they are; before there was about 25GB free space and now there are only 18GB left on sda3.

Remember, the 24GB sda2 partition does not only hold your Mint system but also Mint's 'home' folder (and not only a link), so if you allow 10GB for the system you shouldn't let Mint's 'home' folder grow much bigger than 10GB or you might run short of space on sda2. Ideally, put a new folder in Mint's home folder '2ndHomeOnSDA3', link that to 'gary' on sda3 and use that for bigger files.

Thank you so much I appreciate your insight.
I know sda2 is there for all the reasons that you said, but there is no icon available to click on
in the Linux Mint file browser. There are icons for sda1, sda3, and sda5. I'll figure it out. Everything
else seems to work, which is great! I love Ubuntu/Linux. I even got my 91 year old father using it, and he
has even less of a clue than I do! Thanks again.
gkaucher

Post by gkaucher »

gkaucher wrote:
prestonR wrote::D

Thank you so much I appreciate your insight.
I know sda2 is there for all the reasons that you said, but there is no icon available to click on
in the Linux Mint file browser. There are icons for sda1, sda3, and sda5. I'll figure it out. Everything
else seems to work, which is great! I love Ubuntu/Linux. I even got my 91 year old father using it, and he
has even less of a clue than I do! Thanks again.
I see what you are saying in Ubuntu 12.04 sda2 was shown as one of 4 "Device" Icons, where in Linux Mint 18.3
it is shown with different icons labeled "filesystem" or "home". Perfect!

Return to “Installation & Boot”