Start up issues

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Palladini921

Start up issues

Post by Palladini921 »

I have installed Linux Mint 18.2 Sylvia MATE on my desktop computer. Up to few nights ago, when I started my computer, I had to wait until my BIOS allowed me to tap many times the Delete key to get into my BIOS. Once ther, this being a newer ASUS motherboard, I a have to go to the easy mode and click the boot options button and choose the hard drive to start Linux Mint I have several hard drives installed in the box. But a few nights ago, I downloaded from my Software Manager Grub2. Since then I am doing the same as before, delete key, go to easy mode, chose hard drive.

Now my question is, how do I get it so I turn my computer on and fires right up to Linux Mint? I think I have to configure Grub2, but I have no idea on how to do that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Start up issues

Post by Pjotr »

In the UEFI, move Windows Boot Manager to the bottom of the boot priority list:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... rity-order
(item 2.2, left column)

If it's called OS Boot Manager, click to expand that category and then put Windows Boot Manager at the bottom.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

Part of the issues is My BIOS does not, when setting up boot order, recognize any of Hard Drives. But when I get Easy Mode and click the boot button, all of them are there.

We are in the process of Moving, I could have made a video to show you this, but my cameras are packed away and at the new house already, i am not there yet.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

When booted in Mint, open a terminal. What's the output of

Code: Select all

sudo efibootmgr -v
?
FT277002
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FT277002 »

I'd go through the BIOS again with the Motherboard manual. But then many motherboard manuals are incomplete or offer poor explanations of BIOS features.
Are you using a UEFI or legacy boot? On my Gigabyte MB, there is a setting for CSM Support - "Enables or disables UEFI Compatibility Support Module to support a legacy PC boot process." Even though my Boot method is using UEFI, for some reason, I have to have this enabled for the drive to be detected.
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

I run the command sudo efibootmgr -v
and get this - efibootmgr: EFI variables are not supported on this system.

My Motherboard is an ASUS P6P87 and you can get the PDF for the Motherboard here - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67 ... sk_Manual/
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Ok so Mint is installed in Legacy/BIOS mode.
Do you have other systems installed on the machine, e.g. windows ? What happens if you just let the machine boot normally, do you get to an OS ? which one ?
If you have windows, please check its boot mode with these instructions. Is it also Legacy or is it UEFI ?
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

The ONLY OS running on this Computer is Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia MATE. I at this time have no other OS running on this computer.

But I must say, we are moving to a new house in just 3 days, and when I put this Beast of mine back together again, I just might Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia MATE, Windows 7 Pro and 1 or 2 other OS running on the Beast
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

Ok we moved, I ditched the plan to put Windows back on this Machine. So my start up goes like this now, push button, wait for BIOS to get to certain point, then start tapping F8 many time until the boot menu appears, then choose the drive my OS sits on.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

I am going on holidays in two days, so dont fret if I stop replying.

The normal way would be to make sure that the Mint drive is first in the boot order. Since you seem to have installed in Legacy mode, I suggest you disable UEFI in the BIOS/firmware settings. That will at the miimum clean up the boot order, and maybe it will provide the option to select the drive order for legacy boot.
If you really cant get the Mint drive as default, then find out which drive is the default one -> sdX, and install grub there with sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
Palladini921

Post by Palladini921 »

I bit the Bullet and Opened my case, went to another Computer, Downloaded the ISO image for Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. I then burned it to a USB and inserted that USB into a USB Port on My Computer. It now starts with throwin a a screen of test up and loading up with me needing to do no input on the Keyboard.

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6a691 ... b2a0788664

Return to “Installation & Boot”