VirtualBox: Guest Addition Fail (18.3)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hansa123
Level 1
Level 1

VirtualBox: Guest Addition Fail (18.3)

Post by hansa123 »

Hey all,
my host is a Windows 10 Enterprise x64 system, I run VirtualBox 5.2.2r. I Want to create a Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon x64 System in the box. The installation is fine but after I got problems with the Guest Additions. Linux is in software rendering mode and the shared clipboard is not working. I tried this tutorial (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-19 ... -mint.html), but it fails. After the restart, the screen in Linux is just black and I have to kill the VM. I dont know whats wrong. I install Linux, run the Guest Addition, start the Autorun, installation works fine, i restart and the thing is broken.

Any ideas? Thank you very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: VirtualBox: Guest Addition Fail (18.3)

Post by Pierre »

does the Guest Addition version match the VirtualBox version?

ie: my VBs are often ahead of the actual Guest Addition version,
& generally only get updated when the VirtualBox software prompts to do so.

BTW: quite often, I've found that Cinnamon is too heavy to run in a VB situation,
& only ever runs in Software Rendering Mode.
- sometimes that's fixable, but most times, it's not.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
hansa123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hansa123 »

Thank you very much, I now tried Mate and everything works perfectly. I can Install the Additions and the clipboard and graphics are fine. Seems to be a Cinnamon Problem. But this is OK for me.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

hansa123 wrote:Seems to be a Cinnamon Problem.
Doesn't seem to be the case. I have 18.3 Cinnamon running here as a guest and it works just as all the other VMs I use after adding the correct guest additions.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that may also depend on the Host Hardware - - most of my PCs are low spec,
and as such, running Cinnamon in any VB tends to get that Software Rendering Error.
& I've yet to Test my Theory in an higher spec Hardware machine.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Hey hansa123, a few thoughts.

1. The workaround described in the linked article is no longer necessary. Mint used to include guest additions as part of the ISO, which was a wonderful thought but stopped working because VirtualBox changed. Mint dropped those in 18.3, so now the ordinary procedure may be used (simply install the virtual CD from Devices and autorun).

2. FWIW, I also had difficulty with Cinnamon in 5.2.2, so I ended up installing 5.1.30 (which is no longer being updated, but does get security patches). Simply uninstall one, then install the other.

3. Be aware (if you aren't already) that, in addition to installing guest additions, you need to enable 3D acceleration in Settings: Display. Enable shared clipboard and drag-n-drop also are Settings, under General: Advanced.

4. I'm able to run Cinnamon in VBox on a low-spec PC (4 GB ram, originally Win8.1 upgraded to 10). I make a point of not doing much else when I have the VM open, but it certainly boots and runs (guest additions installed), so I don't think that's your issue.

5. Mate does everything Cinnamon does, so just as useful in terms of getting familiar with Linux.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

pbear wrote:Hey hansa123, a few thoughts.

3. Be aware (if you aren't already) that, in addition to installing guest additions, you need to enable 3D acceleration in Settings: Display. Enable shared clipboard and drag-n-drop also are Settings, under General: Advanced.
@ pbear - Thanks, this solved my 'render' issue. :D
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-102 Cinn 6.0.4
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Cool beans. You're welcome.
hansa123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hansa123 »

Thank you for the answers. Actually I am using Mint for 3 years now at home but never had it in a VM. I just need this here at work because we usually work with Windows here... :?

Return to “Installation & Boot”