No automatic partition option during dual boot Mint/Win10 install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Butch

No automatic partition option during dual boot Mint/Win10 install

Post by Butch »

I'm trying to install Mint 18.3 having already installed Win 10 (upgraded from previous install of Win7) on a new 1Tb hard drive with 6 GB RAM . Before attempting Mint install I made sure to uncheck "Fast Startup" in the Win10 power options as per an article referenced in another post on this forum -
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows (I did the reboot after saving changes, and it is indeed disabled).
I also checked msinfo32 to see if my boot had UEFI/Secure Boot (it doesn't). BIOS mode is Legacy from 2009 (it's an old but reliable machine).
However, when I attempted the Mint install, although it did see that Win10 was already installed ("This computer currently has Windows10 on it. What would you like to do?"), the only options I"m given are to "erase disk and install Mint" and "something else". The installation guide says I should be given the option to "Install Mint alongside Windows 10", which will activate an automatic partition of the hard drive - but that option isn't there. A friend sent me a screen shot where he started a dual boot install and it does have that as the first option. He doesn't have a clue why I'm not getting it during my installation, and I couldn't find an answer here. Does anybody have any ideas? I'd rather avoid manual partition if possible, given my limited computer skills. Several online articles also mention how easy this automatic option has made Linux dual boot installation, but obviously it has to be offered as an option before you can use it. Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: No automatic partition option during dual boot Mint/Win10 install

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Butch Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

Is it possible that the partition scheme is msdos and there are already four primary partitions leaving no room for an extended partition :?:

From the live installation media open a terminal and paste back the results of udisksctl info -b /dev/sda|grep -w Type and sudo blkid
Butch

Post by Butch »

OK, thanks. Here's the result:

mint@mint ~ $ udisksctl info -b /dev/sda|grep -w Type
Type: dos
mint@mint ~ $ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: LABEL="eMachines" UUID="965C85F05C85CB85" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="cb509d81-01"
/dev/sda2: UUID="F480269A802662FA" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="cb509d81-02"
/dev/sdd1: UUID="6236-6436" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sr0: UUID="2017-11-24-13-25-42-00" LABEL="Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit" TYPE="iso9660" PTUUID="7da654e6" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
mint@mint ~ $
Butch

Post by Butch »

Gparted shows:

/dev/sda1 ntfs Size: 931.07 GiB Used: 56.66 GiB
/dev/sda2 ntfs Size: 450 MiB Used: 363.12 MiB
unallocated Size: 2.71 MiB
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Your problem is there's no room on the disk to install Mint or any Linux distro.

There's only "unallocated Size: 2.71 MiB" reported.

And I'm not sure if you shrink the windows main partition /dev/sda1 if it would impact what's on /dev/sda2 :?

In any event if you want to try installing Mint alongside win you would have to shrink the windows partition using the shrink utility to make room.

There are plenty of sites like this that explain how to do it.
Butch

Post by Butch »

Thanks. I went ahead and installed mint on an HD laptop with pre-installed Win 8.1 (upgraded to Win 10) and got the partition option (although I just decided to wipe windows off that drive since it had very little data on it). I may do the same on the other machine rather than go through the hassle of partition shrinking - but I"ll check out the link to see what's involved.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

so, with your other machine - - use Disk Management:
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/op ... indows-10/
and use that to shrink C: drive back by some 100Gb or so

then use the "something else" option in the LinuxMint installer, to create some partitions,
and click on the next Icon, to continue with the actual installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Installation & Boot”