Getting dual-boot right

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kharrisma
Level 1
Level 1

Getting dual-boot right

Post by kharrisma »

Hi Forum Folks,

New Dell Inspiron laptop, came with Windows10 pre-installed on a single 1Tb disk, UEFI boot (set to "UEFI boot, secure").

In a word... HATE Win10. Won't uninstall bloatware, keeps doing things I didn't ask it to do, denies me access to files... it's just awful. I'm finally fed up with Microsoft's 600-lb gorilla approach as to exactly who owns MY computer, so I'm officially jumping ship and going to Linux; Windows just ain't worth the hassle anymore. I do have to keep Windows10 on the PC though, so my warranty remains in effect. After that, well, we'll see. If Linux has improved the gaming situation since I last looked at it, Win10 is unceremoniously getting the heave-ho!

Ran Ubuntu Linux some years ago, mostly out of curiosity... 10.x or so, Jaunty Jackalope or something like that. It went right in beside Windows without a problem. Learning curve was too steep, and Windows XP wasn't too bad, so I just forgot about it.

I'm fresh off two attempts to install Linux in a dual-boot setup; Deepin first, then after a botched attempt at that, Ubuntu 17.10... also without success. I don't know if it's relevant: to boot from anything other than the internal drive, have to F12 at the splash screen and change the boot mode from "UEFI boot, secure" to "Legacy," then reboot and F12 again to select the DVD drive as boot source. So that's where things stand when the install begins. Deepin went into the partition I set up for it (in Windows), but I never got the Grub screen on reboot. That kinda unnerved me, so I went more "mainstream" with Ubuntu... and Ubuntu wanted to install alongside Deepin; never even saw Windows at all. Didn't bother to try at that point.

Okay, starting to wonder now. I googled the most popular distro of Linux, and Mint is what came up at the top of the list. I figured there must be a good reason for that, so downloaded 18.3 and burned the ISO to a DVD... and stopped right there.

Couldn't find anything like a tutorial on doing dual-boot installations here, so I started looking around, and figured Installation & Boot was the best place to start. I'm officially nervous now; I can see in this particular piece of the Forums that a lot of people run into issues trying to set up a dual-boot system, and here I am, fresh off of two botched two attempts to do that very same thing, luckily without trashing my existing Windows10 installation... yet. I really don't want to end up like some of those dismayed folks who wound up with a pc that wouldn't boot into either OS, or end up with a Linux-only PC.

So, I guess my question (finally!) is, what do I need to know before I try to install Mint in order to do so successfully? Obviously there's some step(s) critical to getting grub into Window's UEFI boot partition, so the grub menu comes up right at power-on (none of that F12 nonsense), and the OS itself goes into the partition that's waiting for it. Do I need to format the Linux partition to eradicate the existing Deepin install, or delete the partition and re-create it (in Windows) before installing Mint? Or something else altogether?

Any hand-holding and soothing reassurances will be most gratefully received ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Getting dual-boot right

Post by michael louwe »

@ kharrisma,
kharrisma wrote:...
For some guidance on dual-booting LM alongside Win 10/8.1 in UEFI and GPT-disk mode, please refer to .......
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126 (dual-booting UEFI computers)
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ct/windows
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nt-install
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/ (note step 17)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and ms-dos disks)

Ensure that Secure Boot, Fast Boot and CSM(or Legacy BIOS) are disabled in BIOS setup, Fast Startup is disabled in Win 10/8.1(>Control Panel >Power options), the Live LM media(DVD or USB-stick) is booted in UEFI mode in BIOS setup.

To dual-boot, you only need to pre-shrink the Windows partition if you intend to use the manual "Something else" install method, ie no need to do so if you intend to use the automatic "install LM alongside Windows Boot Manager" method, which will be followed by the LM Installer auto-partitioning the disk and auto-installing the Linux Grub bootloader onto the Windows ESP. Only a root / and swap partition will be auto-created with a total default size of about 20GB. The user will be given the option to increase this default size by moving a slider on the colored Partition table, subject to the maximum available free space in the Windows partition.

For the "Something else" install method, manually partition the pre-shrunk free space accordingly, eg 50GB for /, 1.5X RAM size for Swap(at the end of this space) and 200GB for Home; and ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(= ESP = fat32/about 104MB/mount point is /boot/efi) which is usually dev/sda1.

P S - Certain high-end OEM Win 8.x/10 computers, eg Acer, Asus and HP, have an obstructive or pro-M$ BIOS setting for "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing",(= Linux cannot boot) .......
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
viewtopic.php?t=236560
... The above latest(= 2017) OEM laptops, eg Acer E and S series, may have even removed this BIOS setting(eg "No bootable device" after installing Linux and cannot be fixed), but may be restored by a new BIOS firmware update from the OEMs = update through Windows only. This was after many complaints from affected users. ...
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=254948
kharrisma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kharrisma »

Thanks for the detailed reply!

They all have one thing in common, however: no mention is made of the message I get directly after the "Install 3rd Party Software" screen, and before the "Select Installation Type" screen.

"Unmount partitions that are in use? Installer has detected that the following disks have mounted partitions: /dev/mmcblk1 Do you want the installer to try to unmount the partitions before continuing? If you leave them mounted, you will not be able to create,delete, or resize partitions on these disks, but you may be able to install to existing partitions there."

I don't want to do something that will trash my existing Windows 10 installation; will unmounting the partitions cause this?

Thanks for the hand-holding!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ kharrisma, .......
kharrisma wrote:...
Yes, let the Live LM USB/DVD Installer unmount or deactivate the partitions on the internal hard-drive. In Linux, a mounted or active partition or hard-drive cannot be manipulated by the Live Installer or a Disk Partitioning Tool like GParted.

Ensure that Fast Startup in Win 10/8.x has been disabled, ie >Control Panel >Power options.

Return to “Installation & Boot”