Upgrade 32-bit installation to 64-bit

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hdleng

Upgrade 32-bit installation to 64-bit

Post by hdleng »

When I installed Linux Mint 18.2, I used a 32-bit installation disk from another PC. The new PC, which has a 64-bit processor, happily accepted the installation. When I update to 18.3, I'd like to install the 64-bit system. Can this be done without wiping out my currently installed applications and settings?

While searching for an answer to this, I found that on Linux Mint 17 and earlier, a clean install of the 64-bit system and reinstall of applications is needed. Is this still the case with 18?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Upgrade 32-bit installation to 64-bit

Post by Neil Edmond »

A 32-bit OS cannot be upgraded to 64-bit. A fresh installation is necessary. Back-up the contents of your data and restore after the new installation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You will need to reinstall. That means losing your currently installed applications, but you can back those up with Aptik; you can certainly try copying your entire home directory over to another medium, and paste it back in place after reinstallation. That will retain your settings. The settings for your applications will then be in place after you reinstall the applications.

So, yes, it's a new installation. But no, that does not mean losing everything.

I would advise making this a two-step process: first, install 18.2 64-bits and get all your applications back up and running. Then, upgrade to 18.3 through the Update Manager.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
hdleng

Post by hdleng »

I suspected that a new installation would be needed, but I wanted to check first. Thanks for the replies. I will mark this solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”