Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Rubin_Farr
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] update-grub only works from other LM install

Post by Rubin_Farr »

Hey all. This is an annoyance I've had for awhile. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

First of all, I have LM 17.3 and LM 18.1 sharing one drive on separate partitions. Now, I mainly use 18.1 and only use 17.3 as a backup/emergency. The annoyance arises when I update a kernel in 18.1 and it won't show up in GRUB even if I manually run update-grub from 18.1. For some reason, it will only work if I run update-grub from my 17.3 install.

So basically, every time I update a kernel in 18.1, I have to boot into 17.3, manually update GRUB, and then reboot again to see the new changes. I would prefer to be able to update GRUB from 18.1 but I suspect I have more than one GRUB installed (maybe from emergency boot disk) or the wrong file is being updated, I don't know.

Is there a command or way to fix this issue so that I can simply update kernels as normal without booting into my alternate LM install to update grub?

Like I said, if I don't do it this way, GRUB never sees my new kernel and will not use it. Conversely, if I remove a kernel, I still have to go through this procedure for GRUB to operate properly.

TL:DR My update-grub only works from 17.3 but I want to use 18.1
Last edited by Rubin_Farr on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: update-grub only works from other LM install

Post by minitux »

In my opinion, You have to set Mint 18 and its grub ad main.

Start Mint 18 and set it's grub in the First HD (/dev/sda) where's installed windows

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

sudo update-grub

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I had the same problem, and your solution worked for me, thank you Minitux! :mrgreen:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Rubin_Farr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rubin_Farr »

minitux wrote:In my opinion, You have to set Mint 18 and its grub ad main.

Start Mint 18 and set it's grub in the First HD (/dev/sda) where's installed windows

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

sudo update-grub

Tried this and after the first command, received this message.

Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install.real: warning: Sector 32 is already in use by the program `FlexNet'; avoiding it.  This software may cause boot or other problems in future.  Please ask its authors not to store data in the boot track.
Installation finished. No error reported.
Last edited by Rubin_Farr on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Rubin_Farr, now the $100 question is: is it working?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Rubin_Farr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rubin_Farr »

Moem wrote:Rubin_Farr, now the $100 question is: is it working?
First, I was confused. I thought that message meant the install failed, I didn't read it carefully.

I followed instructions but then on boot it was throwing a bunch of new errors. So I tried loading a different kernel and coming back to my current kernel and the errors subsided. I'll have to wait until I have the need to install a new kernel to really test.

I'll mark it solved for now. Thanks Minitux and Moem.

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] update-grub only works from other LM install

Post by minitux »

Moem wrote:I had the same problem, and your solution worked for me, thank you Minitux! :mrgreen:
Nice :D if you have multiple linux systems installed, and update the kernel on a system that is not the main one (the default at boot with its grub) to see the kernel updated on the other systems, you have to boot from the main system and from that one run a grub update.
Rubin_Farr wrote:Tried this and after the first command, received this message.

Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install.real: warning: Sector 32 is already in use by the program `FlexNet'; avoiding it. This software may cause boot or other problems in future. Please ask its authors not to store data in the boot track.
Installation finished. No error reported.
seems to be due to some program that you have installed on windows and that goes to occupy that space, here, they talk about Flexnet
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st12974488
and here
https://askubuntu.com/questions/195390/ ... e-what-sho

But as far as I understand, it is not a problem (error) but only a warning that does not compromise anything, I think you can leave it like that, without venturing into strange or difficult solutions and with some risk

Rubin_Farr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] update-grub only works from other LM install

Post by Rubin_Farr »

minitux wrote:But as far as I understand, it is not a problem (error) but only a warning that does not compromise anything, I think you can leave it like that, without venturing into strange or difficult solutions and with some risk
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I wasn't planning to troubleshoot any further as long as LM was working. That message just confused me at first....I'd never seen such a wingy install message I think.

Thanks again

Rubin_Farr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rubin_Farr »

I installed a new kernel recently and discovered I still have this issue...I still have to update-grub from my other OS.

(I had this marked as solved previously until I could really test it.)

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by minitux »

For me it is really, but really strange, if the main system ( the one that starts by default in grub) and is its grub that rule (installed on the device) as default bootloader

Are you sure you've done right? for me no.

I have 6 distro installed (Mint is the main) and the procedure that you say, I have to do just by Mint, to see the newer kernels in the other distros, not the opposite

Rubin_Farr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rubin_Farr »

I ended up fixing this accidentally. Restoring a timeshift image fixed this issue for some reason. I no longer have to switch to my other OS to run update-grub. Marking as solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”