black screen nouveau nvidia install distros

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
huron71

black screen nouveau nvidia install distros

Post by huron71 »

hello, there are certain distributions that I can not install, especially the current ones. Is it possible to disable nouveau just before installation and continue at low resolution until the Nvidia drivers are installed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Arrababiski
Level 1
Level 1

Re: black screen nouveau nvidia install distros

Post by Arrababiski »

You can try this:

Boot from a Mint 18.3 Live CD or Live USB
When "Automatic boot in n seconds" appears on screen, press a key
Press [Tab] to edit options
After "quiet splash" add "modprobe.blacklist=nouveau"
Press Enter to start LM
Now you're in software rendering mode and nouveau driver it's not loaded, you can test it in terminal mode typing "lsmod | grep nouveau". It should return no results
Install LM from the installer on the desktop
If you need to disable nouveau driver again after the installation, modify file /etc/default/grub and set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to "quiet splash modprobe.blacklist=nouveau"

Hope it helps.
kramarov

Re: black screen nouveau nvidia install distros

Post by kramarov »

huron71 wrote:hello, there are certain distributions that I can not install, especially the current ones. Is it possible to disable nouveau just before installation and continue at low resolution until the Nvidia drivers are installed?
Hello,
in my case (installing linux mint 18.2 cinnamon on a laptop with nvidia GeForce 840M), this helped: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842
nouveau.modeset=0 worked for me

Return to “Installation & Boot”