No grub ? No boot !

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Poissonchat

No grub ? No boot !

Post by Poissonchat »

Hello

I need help for installing , cinnamon on my toshiba ............

So i want Cinnqmon on my laptop and i don't want windows ( anymore) until there everyhing is good in the hood. When i lauch linux cinnamon via Live CD ect i found the live cd ect et click on intall linux but the thing is at the end of the installation it says : grub cannot be install. ha ok well well . if i turn off my computer of course i have a black screen and no boot on linux.
I lauch boot repair and it says :
The boot files of [Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia] are far from the start of the disk. Your BIOS may not detect them. You may want to retry after creating a /boot partition (EXT4, >200MB, start of the disk). This can be performed via tools such as gParted. Then select this partition via the [Separate /boot partition:] option of [Boot Repair]. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootPartition)
I have no idea what to do ..... i simply don't understand how to create a partition :/

so thank you for your help :*
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: No grub ? No boot !

Post by Moem »

Here is a turorial on how to create a partition with Gparted. They are using the Gparted live CD but any live medium that has GParted, including your boot repair CD or your Mint DVD (or a USBstick) will be fine.
https://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted
Here is another one:
https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-rev ... -xp-vista/

And if you prefer video there are many of them on YouTube too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Poissonchat , .......
Poissonchat wrote:...
That's odd. How did you install LM.? Did you use the automatic "Erase disk and install LM".? How big is the hard-drive.?

Please run the Live LM USB/DVD and provide the Terminal output for sudo parted -l and inxi -Fxz
Poissonchat

Post by Poissonchat »

Hello Everybody

thank you to replying to me :D
It is done I installed Cinnamon on my computer !
I download and launched repair boot and i followed in Gparted the instructions : create a boot partition ( i did't know !) the first yes i lauch , erase all and install linux but it didn't instal the boot ( grub ) why i don't know ....

So i went online and saw some pictures of " how should be a partition "
/
/ boot
/ home
/ swap

And i did it and crossed my fingers :P
It work well now

Only one things thought but that it is optional : what do you think of my partitions for my computer ? Do you think I use well " the capacities of my computer ?
I put a picture ...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Your swap looks very large! It should be a lot smaller, depending on the memory you have. I have 8 GB memory, my swap is smaller than 4GB. I would try to add all that space to Home so you can use it for your files.
I'm having a bit of trouble seeing how big your / (root) and /home are, can you tell us?

Here's my disk so you can compare. There is an old Mint 17 install in sda6.
mydisk.jpg

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Poissonchat

Post by Poissonchat »

Ho you have a lot of partitions ... i dont know if it is good
ok i tell you mine because it was in french i translate it just now .

SO

File system partition 1
30 GB EXT4

extended partition
partition 2
970 GB

File system partition5
5.0 GB ext4

File system partition6
80 GB ext4

Swap partition 7
885 GB

So do you think i should shrink my partitions for the swap :D ?

My toshiba has 1.0 TB hard disk ....
Really i ma newbie i don't understand how to give more memory to one for another ect ....
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I have sda1 which is root (/), sda5 which is /home, and sda7 which is /swap. And then I have the old Mint 17 in sda6. That's all.
An extended partition is a 'container' partition that holds other partitions; in this case, sda2 holds sda5 and 6.

A good size for root, if you have /home as a separate partition, is 20 to 30 GB. Is that your partition 1? Then that is fine.

Home is where your files live, so that can be big. It's where you store pictures and music and all of that. If partition 5 is your /home, it is too small and I would certainly make it much much bigger.

Swap should not be larger than 2x your RAM memory. So yes, I think you should shrink it; as it is, you are wasting space.

You are almost there, keep going, you're doing fine so far! :-D

Poissonchat

Post by Poissonchat »

Ho thanks

I think I will resize Home and put a good nice size for it ( i still don't but i will have a look)
And for swap yes I said that to myself but also I said " carole you messed up the first time so give to each partitions a good size like that they will all happy !?! "
Ok now I think I have seen big :mrgreen:

SO ok i will put my live CD in and launch it via the bios after that i will be able to change the partitions with gparted ? it is correct ?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yes, that is completely correct!

Poissonchat

Post by Poissonchat »

Ok

I still don't know what it is the extended part ? I creat it because other users did it but do you think there is any utility ?

I post a nice picture with gparted maybe it is better.

On the picture , we can see that I clearly "push the button a little bit far " for the swap hahaha
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Poissonchat wrote:I still don't know what it is the extended part ? I creat it because other users did it but do you think there is any utility ?
Extended partitions exist because there can only be four primary partitions, and no more. So if you already have four partitions, and you want to make more... the solution is to create two or more partitions inside one existing partition. That partition then serves as a 'container' for the partitions inside it. And then we call it an extended partition. In your case, sda2 is the 'container' that contains sda5, sda6 and sda7. This is not necessary but it is also not harmful.

Your picture is very useful, it gives a good overview.
If that were my computer, I would probably make sda7 much much smaller, for example 10GB, creating empty space on the left side; then I would extend sda6 to the right to fill that space.

Here is a good article about the different types of partitions: https://www.howtogeek.com/184659/beginn ... explained/

Poissonchat

Post by Poissonchat »

Hello

I have just finished to change the partitions , what do you think ? :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Oh, this looks a whole lot better. You can certainly use it like this. :D
You don't really need that /boot partition, but it will not hurt either.

Return to “Installation & Boot”