Check of the integrity of the medium - Failed! (boot from USB)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fatopek
Level 1
Level 1

Check of the integrity of the medium - Failed! (boot from USB)

Post by fatopek » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi

I am not complete newbie to Linux, but I am using it rather causally, not digging too deeply into geek stuff.

Hardware - Notebook HP 15-r011sw
Software - Linux Mint 18.1 XFCE 64-bit

I wanted to change my Mint to clean, newest one version of XFCE. I downloaded clean ISO and carefully checked integrity and authenticity of it, as it is described on official website. I booted the install on fresh formatted to standard FAT32 file system of course, well working USB stick using unetbootin... Problem appeared when I used " Check the integrity of the medium " option from boot menu. It gave me output "error found in 2 files". I can't say what exactly are these files, because I don't know how to check it.

I am confused whether is it important problem and how should I solve it.

Thanks in advance!

catweazel
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Check of the integrity of the medium - Failed! (boot from USB)

Post by catweazel » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:25 am

First, 18.1 isn't the newest. See this link.

Second, for now, ignore the message and try to install 18.3.
There are no silly questions, but there are silly answers.

fatopek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fatopek » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:01 am

I expressed myself incorrectly. I meant I am currently using (only) Linux Mint 18.1 on my notebook and that I downloaded newest one 18.3 XFCE.

Anyway, so should I ignore this message?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:45 pm

"is it an important problem" Yes. A 2GiB file only 64kiB in length will still only register as 1 checksum failure.

"Should I ignore this message?" Not totally ignore it, no. You can do the same integrity-check after the Live Session has booted to see exactly which files are unexpectedly different. The boot medium is mounted under /cdrom in the Live Session. There's a file in there called MD5SUMS or md5sum.txt

cd /cdrom && md5sum -c MD5SUMS ### Manually test the integrity of the boot medium from a Live Session

If the 'Failed' list includes...
vmlinuz
...or...
initrd.lz
...or...
filesystem.squashfs
...then you should re-do the unetbootin step. The other files don't affect the installed Mint, they're just for starting the Live Session, so if you get a running Mint, it doesn't matter much whether they pass or fail the md5sum check.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

Return to “Installation & Boot”