Check of the integrity of the medium - Failed! (boot from USB)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fatopek
Level 1
Level 1

Check of the integrity of the medium - Failed! (boot from USB)

Post by fatopek »

Hi

I am not complete newbie to Linux, but I am using it rather causally, not digging too deeply into geek stuff.

Hardware - Notebook HP 15-r011sw
Software - Linux Mint 18.1 XFCE 64-bit

I wanted to change my Mint to clean, newest one version of XFCE. I downloaded clean ISO and carefully checked integrity and authenticity of it, as it is described on official website. I booted the install on fresh formatted to standard FAT32 file system of course, well working USB stick using unetbootin... Problem appeared when I used " Check the integrity of the medium " option from boot menu. It gave me output "error found in 2 files". I can't say what exactly are these files, because I don't know how to check it.

I am confused whether is it important problem and how should I solve it.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Check of the integrity of the medium - Failed! (boot from USB)

Post by catweazel »

First, 18.1 isn't the newest. See this link.

Second, for now, ignore the message and try to install 18.3.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
fatopek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fatopek »

I expressed myself incorrectly. I meant I am currently using (only) Linux Mint 18.1 on my notebook and that I downloaded newest one 18.3 XFCE.

Anyway, so should I ignore this message?
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"is it an important problem" Yes. A 2GiB file only 64kiB in length will still only register as 1 checksum failure.

"Should I ignore this message?" Not totally ignore it, no. You can do the same integrity-check after the Live Session has booted to see exactly which files are unexpectedly different. The boot medium is mounted under /cdrom in the Live Session. There's a file in there called MD5SUMS or md5sum.txt

cd /cdrom && md5sum -c MD5SUMS ### Manually test the integrity of the boot medium from a Live Session

If the 'Failed' list includes...
vmlinuz
...or...
initrd.lz
...or...
filesystem.squashfs
...then you should re-do the unetbootin step. The other files don't affect the installed Mint, they're just for starting the Live Session, so if you get a running Mint, it doesn't matter much whether they pass or fail the md5sum check.

Return to “Installation & Boot”