Question about Linux Mint 18.2 live DVD and Windows 10 partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomdkat

Question about Linux Mint 18.2 live DVD and Windows 10 partitions

Post by tomdkat »

Hi! I booted a Linux Mint 18.2 live DVD on a brand new HP laptop to transfer data from an external hard drive to the C: drive on the laptop. The laptop is running Windows 10. After Mint booted, I tried mounting the external hard drive and it refused to mount because the partition on the external hard drive wasn't shut down cleanly or Windows was suspended. In any event, what I'm most interested in is what happened next. After re-booting the laptop and letting Windows 10 boot, I got a black screen after logging in. This continued to happen each time I tried rebooting the system. I always got the black screen after login.

My question: Would booting the Mint live DVD have touched the C: drive such that Windows 10 would have issues? I assumed booting the Linux Mint live DVD shouldn't have touched the C: drive. I never opened the C: drive at all. I only tried mounting the external drive.

I ended up doing a Windows 10 restore to fix the issue. That wasn't a big deal because no user data was on the laptop anyway. :)

I just want to make sure my understanding of booting a Mint live DVD is correct.

Thanks!

Peace...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Question about Linux Mint 18.2 live DVD and Windows 10 partitions

Post by michael louwe »

@ tomdkat, .......
tomdkat wrote:...
Likely, the problem was because Fast Startup was not disabled in Win 10, ie >Control Panel >Power options. Please refer to ...
https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pr ... rtup-mode/
tomdkat

Re: Question about Linux Mint 18.2 live DVD and Windows 10 partitions

Post by tomdkat »

Thanks for the info!

Return to “Installation & Boot”