I cannot install Linux Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minteum

I cannot install Linux Mint

Post by Minteum »

I cannot install Linux Mint 18.3

I have Linux Mate 64bit installed and I messed something up and want to make a fresh install.
As I go through the steps of installing it again through a Live-CD it asks me to choose the Type Of Installation. It looks like a partition table. I deleted every partition inside until I was left with one whole thing on the table and I thought that is just the hard drive. I chose this drive and it says it cannot be installed because ,,,,, something about root. I don't remember.

It won't ask me this typical question if I want to delete the entire disk and install or if I want to retain the OS and install a second one ... It stops at a partition table.
How can I make it work ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I cannot install Linux Mint

Post by keithrboz »

The option I think you're looking for is Install alongside existing system, and this has appeared everytime I run an install - lots of VirtualMachines and a few friends.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You get a choice at install to install Mint replacing everything else.
If this is what you want do not choose install beside of.
Mint will handle all the partitioning.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Minteum

Post by Minteum »

Solved.

I inserted the Windows 7 disk and I just booted from there. Then I just removed something and I booted with the Live CD from Linux.
I don't know why it was so complicated with Live CD with 0 options.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Had you hibernated Windows 7? .. This may be why the options weren't showing. The top one should be "Erase disk and install Linux Mint".

Also, it will help others if you add [SOLVED] to the subject line in the first post in this thread. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Installation & Boot”