Boot Problem after micrcode update

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mhmb
Level 1
Level 1

Boot Problem after micrcode update

Post by mhmb »

Hi, I have linux mint 18.3, Kernel 4.13 installed.
It is a intel core 2 duo cpu T5870 2.00 GHZ machine.
After I ran the micorode update the kernel 4.13 does not boot any more fully.
I see the mint logo but then the screen gets black, no mouse, just black.
I tried to undo the microcode update but that did not help.
The 4.10 kernel works fine, and in recovery modus the kernel 4.13 boots, telling me the special grafics mode is working.
I would really like to get the 4.13 kernel get to work again because the 4.10 kernel keeps telling me for security reason the update to 4.13 is needed.
I have the feeling that it works but I just can see it sind if I push the power button to shut down the hard disk moves as it drive down properly, but I don't see anything. I will be grateful for help.
Intel has no update for my configuration.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Boot Problem after micrcode update

Post by smurphos »

Use the Kernel section in Update Manager to manually install the latest 4.4 series kernel, boot into the 4.4 kernel from the grub menu and assuming that one boots OK then go back into update manager and remove all 4.8,4.10, and 4.13 kernels you have installed.

4.4 will become the default and will be supported until Mint 18 is EOL and you can always try the 4.13 series again once the frenzy of Spectre/Meltdown patching frenzy has calmed down and the bugs have been cleared up.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
mhmb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mhmb »

Thank you for the advice, I will just put up with the 4.10 kernel then until everything calms down.
prestonR

Post by prestonR »

Try booting 4.13.0-26 by adding the boot parameter GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text at the grub screen.

- at grub menu highlight your Mint with the new kernel
- press the 'e' key to edit the boot parameters
- using the cursor keys to scroll down to the line that starts with "linux" and go to the end of that line
- add a blank space, then GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text so it looks like:

Code: Select all

quiet_splash GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text

- Press Ctrl+X or F10 to continue to boot

This will only apply for that particular boot. If this fixes your issue come back and we make it permanent.

Return to “Installation & Boot”