Instructions for dual boot install on MacBook Pro

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BUBearsFan

Instructions for dual boot install on MacBook Pro

Post by BUBearsFan »

I read the “how to get help” instructions and searched for “dual boot install Mac” and didn’t see any instructions. I’ve searched on Google and found good instructions for installing Ubuntu but not Mint.Does anyone know a good link for clear instructions for installing a bull boot with IOS on a 2012-2014 MacBook Pro? Thx!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keithrboz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Instructions for dual boot install on MacBook Pro

Post by keithrboz »

This link tells you how to prepare your drive:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201468

I found it best to use osx to convert the .iso, and create a bootable USB:
https://www.lewan.com/blog/2012/02/10/m ... rom-an-iso

I'm guessing you already have your .iso?

It all worked very well on my 2008 macbook.
Keith Bainbridge

keithrbauaptop@gmail.com
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Instructions for Ubuntu will work for Mint too : Mint is based on Ubuntu and has the same installer.

Steps are :
From macOS
1) With Disk Utility resize the macOS partition to leave free space for linux. If you can leave the rest as unallocated (free) space it's better, otherwise format it as a partition with a macos filesystem that we will later delete
2) Download the ISO and burn it to a USB stick using Etcher

3) shutdown, plug the USB stick, boot pressing alt/option and select the option called "EFI Boot" with the logo of an external drive.
You will boot to the live version of Mint. Check that everything works to your liking, in particular wifi.

If so, proceed to install
4) If you had to create a partition at step 1), launch gparted (Menu > Administration > gparted), select the internal hard drive, select said partition (take care not to select the one of the real macOS system) and delete it. You will now have free space. quit gparted
5) launch the installer and choose the option to install alongside macOS

That's it. shutdown, unplug the USB and reboot. You should get to a grub screen giving you the option to boot into Mint or exit to macOS.

You may have some troubles downstream, macs often have video problems for instance. If so, make a new thread on this forum with a link to the specs of your mac on everymac.com and a clear description of the problem.
kwsherwood

Post by kwsherwood »

Have others been able to follow this procedure with a newer MacBook Pro?

I'm able to run the live USB and even install to an external hard drive. But installation from the live USB doesn't show the primary drive of the Mac (nor does it show up if I run Gparted from within Mint live).

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=261974&p=1416648&h ... k#p1416648
jrmwalsh

Post by jrmwalsh »

This is just a small correction.
The original question says "with IOS on a 2012-2014 MacBook Pro? Thx!"

But iOS is the operating system for Apple iPhones, NOT MacBooks.

The operating system for MacBooks is called MacOS, or sometimes Mac OSX, or sometimes just OSX, but not iOS.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

If that macbook is running El Capitan or newer, you should try installing after turning off SIP (system integrity protection). This can only be accessed by booting in Recovery Mode. Hold down the Option+R key and power the machine on--you might need to hold those keys down for close to a minute. It should boot to the Options window (you might need to type your user and admin password). Open Terminal from the utilities drop down and type $csrutil disable To restore SIP the command is csrutil enable
Reboot

Shutdown and reboot with the Live USB and try installing again.

Macs can be a pain. The first thing I do when an install fails is reset the machines PRAM. You can do a search for the key combo for that. It doesn't damage your installed system, it just wipes whatever data is stored there.

If your macbook has an earlier-than-el cap system installed, the 'Recovery' will just show a security list with 'High', 'Medium" and 'No Security'. Set it to 'No Security'. The next option is to allow or not allow booting from external media.

Also, GParted doesn't handle Apple HSF all that well. I use the Apple Disk Utility to create free space in the GUID partition and format it FAT and then tell the installer to use the free space.

I've done several installs on Macbooks and Macbook Airs, but never on a pro, so I'm no expert on what's happening on yours.

Return to “Installation & Boot”