Linux Mint 18 install (sda vs sda1 solved it)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux Mint 18 installation

Post by austin.texas »

ChocolateMint1 wrote:When I run blkid now, I only have two partitions: sda1 and sda5. One of them has like 900GB or more. I guess I can always repartition stuff if I don't like that. I guess I don't care that much.
I never use extended partitions because they are slightly less stable than primary partitions.
What does this command report?

Code: Select all

sudo parted --list
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ChocolateMint1

Post by ChocolateMint1 »

It shows

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 983GB 983GB primary ext4 boot
2 983GB 1000GB 17.2GB extended
5 983GB 1000GB 17.2GB logical linux-swap(v1)
ChocolateMint1

Post by ChocolateMint1 »

I forgot it also shows:

Model: ATA etc.. .(scsi) for the hard drive
Disk /dev/sda 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
then the previous post's

Disk Flags:

etc..
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

austin.texas wrote:
ChocolateMint1 wrote:When I run blkid now, I only have two partitions: sda1 and sda5...
I never use extended partitions because they are slightly less stable than primary partitions.
I've found that when you choose the ‘Erase disk...', it creates the root partition as a primary one (sda1), and creates an extended partition (sda5) to hold the Swap partition.
ChocolateMint1

Post by ChocolateMint1 »

Is it possible that they are leaving us some room in there (sd2, sd3, and sd4) for other ones that we define later, like /home, /usr, /var, etc.. ? I guess I don't really care too much - the machine works. The order is not terribly important - there are trade-offs.

But I have two questions still to go:

1) Why does it say Guest Session under my login when I log in to Cinnamon?

2) My video Y adapter will not screw into it's video card on the back. No matter what I do.
I guess I will just buy a new one. Perhaps it's stripped? The cable plugs in but it doesn't make
a particular confidence-inspiring connection. The video looks great so I can run this way for a day
but I was just wondering if this is abnormal - seems abnormal to me.

Today, I put a PCIX card in, and the bootup sequence picked it right up. When I list lspci command, I can see it's already
there. And if I lspci - k, it shows me that a driver is already there for it. Nice to know that a driver was already there in lib/modules, and I can hook up devices when my cable comes.

And I noticed that the Nvidia graphics driver is nouveau.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

ChocolateMint1 wrote:Is it possible that they are leaving us some room in there (sd2, sd3, and sd4) for other ones that we define later, like /home, /usr, /var, etc.. ? I guess I don't really care too much - the machine works. The order is not terribly important - there are trade-offs.
That would be my guess. For an MBR disc, there can only be 4 partitions---4 created as 'primary' partitions or 3 created as 'primary' partitions and 1 created as an 'extended' partition. An 'extended' partition is a container that can hold numerous 'logical' partitions, as you've seen with your Swap partition.
ChocolateMint1 wrote: But I have two questions still to go:

1) Why does it say Guest Session under my login when I log in to Cinnamon?
That gets set up by default.
ChocolateMint1

Post by ChocolateMint1 »

I can always turn the Guest Session off myself. I was just curious. Yes, I can always repartition my hard-drive if I have a reason, for now, I guess I'm good to go.

Return to “Installation & Boot”