Linux Mint 18 install (sda vs sda1 solved it)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 18 install (sda vs sda1 solved it)

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:42 pm

Epilog: In retrospect, I'm almost sorry I posted this problem to this forum because I had not realized my DVD was bad, and I accidentally told the install to put the boot code on sda1, and not sda. Those were the only two problems - so you might want to skip most of this discussion. Anyway, it's important not to put the boot code on sda1, but sda (which is what the installer first chooses for you anyway).

I just download Linux Mint 18 - the file linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso, burnt it to a DVD, inserted in a PC, and it started installing. After a few minutes, it came to a screen that presented a username box and asked for a username and password.

After trying 30 or more username password combinations, I've given up.

Why does the installation ask for a username and password when I haven't yet established them? Is there a document that I missed at the website (LinuxMint.com?) where I downloaded the 1.5 GB .iso file mentioned above?

I tried to Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a prompt and tried many combinations. I am obviously missing something. I don't know whether or not I can get to a screen where I can somehow establish a username and password.

When it says, Automatic boot in x seconds, I hit return to get a menu, but none of the menu options install an operating system - it always just gets to a login prompt. I read the directions and realize that in compatibility mode, I need to hit mint for username and nothing but enter for password. But this never gets me into anything. No sequence works to get the OS installed. I found the directions and read them. The directions don't work.

Any idea why the program thinks I've already set this?

Strange - I've never had an installer do this.
Last edited by ChocolateMint1 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 18 installation

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:18 pm

When I boot up, I get a screen that has the following now:
Welcome to Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Start Linux Mint
Start in compatibility mode
OEM install (for manufacturers)
Integrity check
Memory test
Boot from local drive

> /casper/vmlinuz file = .......... and this is what I get if I try to start it.

If I start in compatibility mode, it does through a long installation and eventually gets to a screen with a login.

No option that I choose ever gets to a screen that says "Install Linux Mint".

Why doesn't the system just install an operating system?

Another problem is that I've already done a whole lot of hard-drive partitioning to what I want them. I don't want
Linux Mint to partition my hard-drive.

Why does such a simple thing fail already?

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:28 pm

ChocolateMint1 wrote:When I boot up, I get a screen that has the following now:
Welcome to Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Start Linux Mint
Start in compatibility mode
OEM install (for manufacturers)
Integrity check
Memory test
Boot from local drive

> /casper/vmlinuz file = .......... and this is what I get if I try to start it.

If I start in compatibility mode, it does through a long installation and eventually gets to a screen with a login.

No option that I choose ever gets to a screen that says "Install Linux Mint".

Why doesn't the system just install an operating system?

Another problem is that I've already done a whole lot of hard-drive partitioning to what I want them. I don't want

Why does such a simple thing fail already?
What you're seeing is the beginning of a live session of Mint, not an installation.

When you run the DVD, select Start Linux Mint. This will bring you to live session of Mint. Let it continue until you get to the Desktop.

On the desktop, you should see a CD/DVD icon that says "Install Linux Mint" (not exactly sure if this is word for word). That's when installation begins.

Check this if you need more help:
http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
IF AND WHEN your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi, thank you for responding.

I understand that they are using a Linux Mint virtual (for lack of a better word, or should we call it "compact ram-boot") environment that I can start from the Start Linux Mint screen. The problem is that the installation never gets to any screen that has a "desktop" as you termed it. And ALL it ever gets to is a prompt asking for a username. And I put the username mint in, and no password and it always says wrong username/password.

Can you think of why it never gets to the screen that you describe?

I've read the instructions many times. The system never gets to a screen that you describe - it never gets there, it ONLY gets to a login prompt. And I can NEVER, ever get past the login prompt. Is there a way to disable the login prompt and/or did someone change the username and password and not publish it? The directions I've read. The installer doesn't seem to follow the directions.

The directions say that it logs me in automatically as a user called mint. That's fine with me. But I can never get to the screen that allows me to install it (that has the picture that you are pointing me to with an Install option). I never get to that screen.

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Did you verify the ISO before burning it?
IF AND WHEN your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:10 pm

I just ran the command sha256sum -b linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso and it gave the output:

6e3af6f6d53f9f26d1db7f845209c8372e9a689a085294fdef1861b139d7a509 *linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso

I guess this DOES NOT compare with :

ecebdf9ac4697b6c2d7feffd1bc5430641bca67c7df122fa2914824dc8844b3a *linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm downloading from a different site - I'll check it first this time, before I burn the DVD.

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:40 pm

I have no idea whether I should read in text or binary mode or some other mode. I'm now trying my 3rd site.

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:09 pm

Is there something difficult about putting up an .iso file. The checksums never agree with what they have on the site. I've tried many sites. I've never had any problem like this in my entire life. Why all the worry about checksums? Is there a way to checksum it at each site, not one checksum for all the sites. I would assume 90% or more of the sites have a good image.
It shouldn't be difficult.

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Wow, this is a little funny.

I just didn't believe my eyes so I rebooted my Linux machine that I'm working on day to day, not the one I'm building alongside of it.

When I reran the checksums, they are now coming out exactly correctly.

So it's not a checksum issue.

It's something else. Now the question is what?

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:46 pm

ChocolateMint1 wrote:Wow, this is a little funny.

I just didn't believe my eyes so I rebooted my Linux machine that I'm working on day to day, not the one I'm building alongside of it.

When I reran the checksums, they are now coming out exactly correctly.

So it's not a checksum issue.

It's something else. Now the question is what?
I was just checking the checksum and got the correct numbers, so I don't know what happened with yours. :?:

What's the computer you're trying to install to?

Also, what program are you using to create the DVD?

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:54 pm

I am using PBurn to create the DVD. And I'm installing to a Dell Precision 490.
Dell Precision 490 2x Intel Xeon Dual Core 5150 2.66HGz 1TB HDD Computer Desktop
8GB Memory RAM / Nvidia NVS290 / No OS / Keyboard+Mouse

Right now I'm getting ready to have some tea and call it a night as I got a lot done today (otherwise), just not this
install. That's ok - I need to troubleshoot it more.

But right now I'm just watching a bunch of
3203.980277 blk_update_request: I/O error, dev loop0, sector etc..
That kind of error I indicate above. It just keeps scrolling those errors as the DVD is being read.
And I'm getting SQUASHFS errors, wherre it failed to read a certain block. Ad infinitum.

This is a new CD I rewrote. Just in case.

The screen is now grey but the program is still reading from the DVD. Something caused the display to change
to nothing, perhaps something reasonably good is happening, albeit slow. I'll leave this forum tonight with that
and report in the morning if anything noteworthy happens.

I realize I or (we) have some explaining as to why this thing hasn't yet gotten to a nice install screen. And why
the I/O errors are happening. Is it PBurn (doubt it as I always use it, ok, it's not impossible it's that), is it the
PC's DVD (maybe), is it something else? Maybe. Need to conceive of some tests - like perhaps install another
DVD or something radical that changes a lot.

It's still churning away as if it knows what it's doing but I'm going over to drink my tea and answer some
messages from a friend, then I'm done - I was up extremely late last night and I just need some rest.

Thanks for your help.

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:10 am

I might try taking a Verbatim USB DVD (it's almost brand new and it worked fine the first time I used it) off of another machine and simply hooking it up to the Dell 490 and see if I can boot from it and if so, do I get similar read-error behavior or might this improve things? It would be a start.

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 am

Well, you definitely have decent specs for the computer.

I'd check the 'BIOS' settings to see if everything's ok. If there's a fast boot, disable it. There may be some other settings that might need changing.

I would try another program to burn the DVD. I've used Brasero and it hasn't failed me; others have mentioned that it's quirky. :?:

Great idea about trying the USB DVD. Again, a change in 'BIOS' might be needed to boot from that.

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:25 am

ChocolateMint1 wrote: ...
Just noticed this from your earlier post. How did you partition the hard drive?

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 am

Without putting my GParted back in - more or less (if I can remember), it's:

5GB ext2 (non-journal) /boot
100GB ext4 /
16GB linux-swap SWAP
100GB ext4 /home
100GB ext4 /usr
100GB ext4 /var
100GB ext4 /opt
some more for NTFS
some more for FAT32
etc...

Nothing particularly unusual I would say. Just a normal partition job. I can easily see that the partitions
are there using blkid command at a command prompt.

Update:
I'm trying the Verbatim USB drive now, it's churning aft erh the Start Linux Mint. Nothing to report yet - its just reading from the DVD.

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 am

Guess what - There is now on the screen a Computer, Home, and Install Linux Mint icon along with a Menu at the bottom and 4 or 5 other icons. So I'll try the Install Linux Mint icon.

I can foresee a problem though - I pulled the wifi off to get the dual USB cable on. I will have to crawl around back if things fail.

Epilog: So in short, the problem with the install all this time was just that the DVD drive is defective. Using a different DVD solved the whole problem of those blk read errors. The old drive just cannot read properly. Maybe it needs to be cleaned or it's broken somehow. The external USB solved the problem.
Last edited by ChocolateMint1 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:35 am

I chose other so I can specify what I want Mint to do but the dialog is NOT easy to comprehend.

When I click Install Now it wants me to say which partition. So I pretty much have to go through each partition again. This is weird.

The Linux MInt install lost the mount point labels I gave everything. I can't really remember it. I know I could probably just install linux mint to the / mount point. But what, then set everything else up later?

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:11 pm

The installation is done but the system will not boot to my hard-drive. I get a Floppy diskette seek failure. I will try to get into setup. F1 doesn't help to continue. Normally F1 would continue things. I changed the order in the bios, let's hope.

ChocolateMint1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocolateMint1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Now I have a big problem. I changed the boot order in the BIOS so it looks to the hard-drive first, the one that I just installed the OS and bootloader (GRUB) to. But after the Floppy diskette seek failure, it won't continue, even with F1. I will now try to completely disable the floppy device totally. Let's hope.

Return to “Installation & Boot”