Mint Not Installing On A Fresh SSD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KamenRiderNecro
Level 3
Level 3

Mint Not Installing On A Fresh SSD

Post by KamenRiderNecro »

OK.

I've spent about an hour attempting to convert a Lenovo laptop I have from Windows 8.1 to Mint 18.1, and the thing is putting up a truly epic struggle. As in digging its heels in, cursing, making excuses as to why it won't install...ugh. I choose a language, connect to wi-fi, then when it gets to when it asks when to install the OS, it tries telling me there is no space on the SSD or that there is no root partition established. Excuse me? On a clean SSD that is fresh out of the box it tells me this? I've tried installing from disk and from USB, and further, the thing refuses to let me change the boot order when I tried installing Mint on the HDD that came with it. Lenovo forums are far from helpful, here, too. My research has led me to think that perhaps Lenovo has blocked Linux from their machines? Any input on this matter? Am I just being a spaz, or is there something to this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Is that gasoline, Mr. Gideon?"

"Jalapeno, what a headache!"

Mint 20.2 MATE, Intel core i5 9600K, MSI Z390M, Crucial Ballistix 16GB RAM, WD Black boot drive, WD HDDs
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint Not Installing On A Fresh SSD

Post by caf4926 »

But you can boot to the live mint system from a USB?

If you use Gparted first can you create your partition layout on the SSD?
ie; root, home, swap ?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
michael louwe

Re: Mint Not Installing On A Fresh SSD

Post by michael louwe »

@ KamenRiderNecro, .......
KamenRiderNecro wrote:...
Are you trying to replace Win 8.1 with LM 18.1 or dual-booting.?

If replacing Win 8.1 with LM 18.1 and in UEFI mode, easier to use the automatic "Erase disk and install LM" option. If using the manual "Something else" install option, you need to first delete all the Win 8.1 partitions and create an EFI Boot Partition(= fat32/550MB/mount point at boot/efi) at the beginning of the disk/drive. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the EBP, usually at /sda1.

Return to “Installation & Boot”