Drive Space Error at Installation from Live USB on dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwsherwood

Drive Space Error at Installation from Live USB on dual boot

Post by kwsherwood »

I'm attempting to dual boot Linux Mint 18.3 alongside macOS 10 (Sierra) on a new 2017 MacBook Pro, 14

I have partitioned the hard drive using Mac Disk Utility, reserving a 25 gig MS-Dos Fat 32 partition for the installation. I installed the recommended boot loader (reEFInd) and I can boot from a live Mint 18.3 on USB (and have also ssuccessfully run Mint 18.3 in a VM).

However, when I boot the live USB and then select installation, the program queries the language and then indicates insufficient drive space; it appears to be reading the space remaining on the USB drive only. (i.e. it indicates there is only 4gb of space on my computer.)

Advice needed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Drive Space Error at Installation from Live USB on dual boot

Post by orschiro »

Can you launch Gparted and check if it recognises all your internal partitions?
kwsherwood

Post by kwsherwood »

Launching Gparted from within Mint (USB) only recognizes the USB; it does not show the main hard drive. It will show an additional, external hard drive if I boot with that plugged in.
prestonR

Post by prestonR »

The new Macbook pro will only see your internal drive and boot and install ok with kernel 4.11 and above (Manjaro, Ubuntu 17.10 and, I suppose, the upcoming Mint19 in May/June, maybe an earlier upgradable beta?). With kernel 4.10 (ubuntu 17.04) you need to boot with intremap=nosid.

There are ways to get around this for Mint 18.3, the simplest is probably to respin a Mint 18.3 iso with the 4.13 kernel using isorespin.sh https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/03/29 ... ine-kernel

Check these tutorials for more details and instructions to install a distro with a kernel < 4.11:
https://gist.github.com/roadrunner2/128 ... ller-patch and Ubuntu specific: https://github.com/chisNaN/ubuntu-on-macbook12
Last edited by prestonR on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwsherwood

Post by kwsherwood »

Thanks. I think I can confirm this problem and solution.
While I've not yet been able to respin Mint., a current version of Ubuntu with the updated kernel did register the drives and permit installation.

I'm going to make do with Ubuntu for the moment, awaiting the next Mint upgrade with newer kernel.

Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”