updated kernel by mistake. HELP!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mint-user-18

updated kernel by mistake. HELP!

Post by mint-user-18 »

I have not used my Mint laptop in a couple of weeks, I went to run the updater as I always do and the updater itself needed to be updated, so I ran the update, then when it refreshed there was a load of updates, so I ran them, but on scrolling down all had been ticked including a couple of level 4 and level 5 updates, I was not able to stop the updates, when I checked it must have reset to include all levels of updates, I know about the CPU issues and on looking at the level 4 and level 5 updates they were listed as security ones.

Two of the level 5 were kernel updates, I am now worried after seeing in the update manager that installing these can be dangerous, I do not know what kernel I was on before, as far as I know I have not updated the kernel since I first installed Mint, can anybody please help and advise, will I be ok?

When they were installing I did see some of the text in the black command box and it was saying things like "not found"

When I go to the updater and click on "Linux Kernels" the one that is "loaded" is 3.13.0.24 (3.13.9) it also has a icon under "fixes" it also says underneath that 4.4.0-109 is installed, there is a button that I can click on that will allow me to "remove" this kernel.

My system info is.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon version 2.8.8
Linux Kernel 3.13.0.24-generic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mint-user-18

Re: updated kernel by mistake. HELP!

Post by mint-user-18 »

This is a screenshot of what level 4 and level 5 installed, it did say that it needed to install additional files, so I am assuming that it is these?

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

In this case, remove the 4.4.0-109 and install the 3.13.0-139. Both are patched against Meltdown.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hi mint-user-18,
By "dangerous", it's meant that some things like your wifi, graphics, and audio might stop working (because the drivers are usually provided inside the kernel). If these are working and you haven't experienced any system problems, then you should be ok.
Given the severity of the CPU bugs (Meltdown and Spectre), I'd definitely do what Pjotr says and install 3.13.0-139.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
mint-user-18

Post by mint-user-18 »

I have removed 4.4.0-109.

On the list I do have one called 3.13.0-139

I do not know if this is a stupid question but is 3.13.0-139 the same as 3.13.0.24 (3.13.9)?

If not how do I install 3.13.0-139, I click on the [install] but then is that it, or does it have to be "loaded" like the 3.13.0.24 (3.13.9) ones says, if so, how do I do that?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

No, those kernels are not the same. If the number differs, it's a different kernel.

You load it by rebooting. If it is the newest kernel you have, the system will choose it automatically.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
mint-user-18

Post by mint-user-18 »

Moem wrote:No, those kernels are not the same. If the number differs, it's a different kernel.

You load it by rebooting. If it is the newest kernel you have, the system will choose it automatically.
Ok I see.

So the one I have currently is no good then? 3.13.0.24 (3.13.9) and 3.13.0-139 is the one I need to "install" then restart my laptop?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

mint-user-18 wrote:3.13.0-139 is the one I need to "install" then restart my laptop?
Yes. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That's right. And if you want to know more, see this thread.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
mint-user-18

Post by mint-user-18 »

Pjotr wrote:
mint-user-18 wrote:3.13.0-139 is the one I need to "install" then restart my laptop?
Yes. :)
I have just done it, it seems to have worked ok, it did take a little longer to boot up (I am not sure though as I have not restarted in ages) also it says on the notes on the 3.13.0.24 (3.13.9) the following "This system could be made to crash or run programs as administrator" is that the bug?
mint-user-18

Post by mint-user-18 »

Moem wrote:That's right. And if you want to know more, see this thread.
I will have look at that.
mint-user-18

Post by mint-user-18 »

Just a quick update, everything seems to be working all ok.

Thank you for the help and advice.

Just another question, will I also have to update the BIOS as well?

Return to “Installation & Boot”