Install on external

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TechXero
Level 1
Level 1

Install on external

Post by TechXero »

Hello peeps.

I want to set up an Android Build environment on my main rig which is most powerful machine I got. Only it is in UEFI booting off of an internal m.2 SSD. In this case can I install mint on external drive n boot it only when I wanna build? If so how?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Install on external

Post by chiefjim »

Sounds not unlike my situation where I utilize external docking stations. Take specific note of how that drive is identified. Pretty simple if that external drive is a different size. Then when installing to it pay close attention to the menu regarding where Grub installs. You want it to be that new drive.

In practice I power up the external drive, turn on the main computer, and on this machine select F12 for the alternate boot menu. Quick scroll down to the drive desired is all it takes.

Not sure if having Android as your primary OS will effect this much. Others here with more technical backgrounds can assist.
TechXero
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install on external

Post by TechXero »

chiefjim wrote:Sounds not unlike my situation where I utilize external docking stations. Take specific note of how that drive is identified. Pretty simple if that external drive is a different size. Then when installing to it pay close attention to the menu regarding where Grub installs. You want it to be that new drive.

In practice I power up the external drive, turn on the main computer, and on this machine select F12 for the alternate boot menu. Quick scroll down to the drive desired is all it takes.

Not sure if having Android as your primary OS will effect this much. Others here with more technical backgrounds can assist.
Who said anything about Android being main OS ? Main OS is Windows 10, I mean I want to install Mint on external without affecting anything on main Rig. Just so I can set up an Build environment to build Android ROMs... Well now I have Mint installed on SSD on an old dying machine, can I just pull SSD out n plug it in as external on main rig n boot into it ? Although I set mint to take over entire disk so it made 2 partitions, 1 ext4 /boot and one swap....

Return to “Installation & Boot”