Unable to Boot with Live USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyBlak

Unable to Boot with Live USB

Post by AndyBlak »

Howdy folks!

Firstly, I am brand new. I have never used Linux before, but a co-worker of mine has raved about the OS, and I wanted to delve into it. I attempted to research this issue before posting, but was unsuccessful.

My issue is that I have been unsuccessful with booting into the OS using a Live USB. I've downloaded the 64bit version of Cinnamon, 18.3, and used Etcher to drop it onto a 128gb USB drive. I have disabled Fast Boot, Secure Boot, and enabled CSM in my BIOS. The first ISO that I downloaded did return an error with the Check Medium feature, so I downloaded another one and it is error free.

The issue is that no matter which mode I select, regular or compatibilty, I hit a wall. If I choose regular, I get the Linux logo indefinitely. When selecting Compatibility Mode, I am able to get all the way to the login screen, and I enter the credentials successfully, then I'm just stuck at a blank command line prompt. I'm unsure if I am supposed to enter a command, or if this is what I should be seeing. I feel like it's not working the way the documentation outlines.

System Specs:
ASUS ROG ROG GL752VW
Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M with 2G GDDR5 VRAM

One suggestion that I saw for other boot issues was to run inxi -FXz. I have entered that, and it appears to still be running at this point (picture attached). It has been at the pictured screen for about 10 minutes now.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm making a simple rookie mistake here, or if it's truly an issue. Either way, many thanks in advance for your help!

-Andy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Unable to Boot with Live USB

Post by Laurent85 »

Nvidia graphics, see the release notes > Solving freezes https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php
AndyBlak

Re: Unable to Boot with Live USB

Post by AndyBlak »

Laurent85 wrote:Nvidia graphics, see the release notes > Solving freezes https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php
Well that was quick and easy! I thank you kindly. Issue resolved :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”