Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mightydimo
Level 1
Level 1

Installation of Mint 18.2 on a Sony Vaio Pro 13"

Post by mightydimo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi all,

I have a spare computer of the above type and am having trouble installing. The error i get is there is not enough space on the drive and the installer continually crashes. Ive previously had windows 8.1 then 10 on there with no issues but im happy to get rid of it entirely as ive upraded to a Windows Books 2. Im having trouble formating the HD so i can install Linux on it. What is best way to do this. Taking out the SD Card in the laptop and putting it in a different pc to format it would be a very long option for me. Any help appreciated.

Does linux have a formatting option? For some reason using a recovery usb still does not work when i format the drive...

michael louwe
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Installation of Mint 18.2 on a Sony Vaio Pro 13"

Post by michael louwe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:55 am

@ mightydimo, .......
mightydimo wrote:...
Try the fix at this link ... https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2183114

mightydimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mightydimo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:30 am

Thanks for the link Micheal. My problem is i cant format the drive properly so that mint even installs. I can boot into it and perhaps use the preinstalled firefox to browse but the moment i try to install is when the problems start. Im new to lonux so probably im misding something obvious... but im guessing ive got one problem where the whole partition is already used by windows and mint cant use any of the hard drive...

michael louwe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by michael louwe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:19 am

@ mightydimo, .......
mightydimo wrote:...
Try using the Live LM 18.x built-in GParted program to format the hard-drive.
... If installing in UEFI mode, the hard-drive needs to be in GPT disk mode, ie not in MBR or ms-dos disk mode.

mightydimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mightydimo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:45 am

Thanks for that Michael. Ive inched a tiny step forward. After rebooting a few times i finally managed to format it as EXT4. Says 2.05GB already in use?

But i still have the same problem of have "0" available space... Any suggestions?

mightydimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mightydimo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:48 am

I got to say, ive already spent over an hour just trying to get to this step. I have had to reboot numerous times because if i take an action (such as open a browser) then the install wont initiate... If i open gpart then try to install it wont open. If i reboot and just select intall then it will initiate the install program... Not trying to criticise but these bugs are major, why is it so difficult to install it?

mightydimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mightydimo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:49 am

Also, i lose icons, i cant shutdown or reboot. I need to hard reset the laptop otherwise i could spend 5 minutes waiting for it to shut down.

michael louwe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by michael louwe » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:41 am

@ mightydimo, .......
mightydimo wrote:I got to say, ive already spent over an hour just trying to get to this step. I have had to reboot numerous times because if i take an action (such as open a browser) then the install wont initiate... If i open gpart then try to install it wont open. If i reboot and just select intall then it will initiate the install program... Not trying to criticise but these bugs are major, why is it so difficult to install it?
First, boot into Win 10 and disable Fast Startup, ie >Control Panel >Power options. If I were you, I would install LM in Legacy BIOS mode, ie enable CSM or Legacy BIOS and disable Fast Boot in UEFI/BIOS setup.
... Then boot the Live LM USB/DVD. Check that all peripheral devices work, eg Wifi and Sound. Then click "Install LM". Follow the prompts in the Installer wizard. Use the manual "Something else" install option. Delete all the Win 10 partitions to create a new free space. Partition the free space accordingly. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the internal hard-drive, ie /sda. Click "Continue". ....
... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)

If installing LM in UEFI mode, disable Secure Boot also and ensure that the Live USB/DVD is booted in UEFI mode in BIOS setup. Do as above except for the need to create an EFI Boot Partition at the beginning of the drive/disk = fat32/550MB/mount point is boot/efi, and ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the EBP, ie /sda1.

mightydimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mightydimo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 am

Thanks for the help Michael.

Ive tried all that. Changed to legacy, then i get a different error. Still seeing 0 GB. Or then it does but it does not have a right to access it. Sometimes when i reboot, it takes literally 5 minutes to boot into live mint. Or i hard reset (twice) so it boots in within 1 minute. These sorts of errors should have been fixed in version one of this version of linux. Why is it up to version 18 and there are literally over half a dozen errors all preventing me to install it. I dont mean to bash but ive been here for hours trying to get something done. Is there an easy way. Just hit the "install" button?

mightydimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mightydimo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:18 am

When i click on something else, it just hangs. After 10 minutes i reset it. It did nothing. When i click install (erase disk) which is the first option, i get an error saying it needs to partition, then i get back into a similar screen with "something else" and again, a hang....

mightydimo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mightydimo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:22 am

For anyone who wants to know, i finally installed Ubuntu 16. I had heaps of problems with this installation also. I disabled AT (intel Anti Theft) and booting into legacy. As the bios i have is very basic, nothing else was changed (apart from booting from external devices). I might try reinstalling Mint later. Right not im just happy to get something on there.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”