[Solved] Hibernation does not work after one of the latest kernel updates

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LnX

[Solved] Hibernation does not work after one of the latest kernel updates

Post by LnX »

Current kernel:

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux Archer 4.13.0-31-generic #34~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 19 17:11:01 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I have had this problem since about november I think. I haven't felt bothered enough to get into it, but now I do. I have previously had trouble with my suspend, but got help in this thread. Suspend still works fine, but the laptop won't hibernate at all.

Both the start menu option and pm-hibernate initiates the hibernation process. The screen goes black, the power light blinks, but after a few seconds the screen comes back on and the power light stops blinking. Then it just sits there, a black screen with a blinking underscore (_) in the top left. It does not respond to any input and I have to force a reboot by holding the power button.

I have checked all my UUIDs:

$ blkid | grep swap
/dev/sdb1: UUID="88dc32dc-2177-4944-9a36-64fa3d18eba9" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="7610d706-9f39-45d3-9f19-3186d4b9be53"

cat /etc/fstab | grep swap
# swap was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=88dc32dc-2177-4944-9a36-64fa3d18eba9 none            swap    sw              0       0

$ cat /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
RESUME=UUID=88dc32dc-2177-4944-9a36-64fa3d18eba9
And the /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla file looks like this:

$ sudo cat /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
[Re-enable hibernate by default]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
ResultActive=yes

[Re-enable hibernate by default in logind]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate
ResultActive=yes
I have no idea what else to do? I would like to avoid reinstalling. Any logs I can provide that could give us some clues?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Hibernation does not work after one of the latest kernel updates

Post by JerryF »

If it's not necessary to have the 4.13 series kernel, try the 4.4 series.

You'll need to select the 4.4 from grub when you reboot after installing the lower-numbered kernel.
LnX

Post by LnX »

JerryF wrote:If it's not necessary to have the 4.13 series kernel, try the 4.4 series.

You'll need to select the 4.4 from grub when you reboot after installing the lower-numbered kernel.
Yeah, probably shouldn't always install all updates. Will test a rollback when I have time. Atm I have hidden my grub menu so it is a bit of a hassle. Will get back with results when I find the time.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

LnX wrote:
JerryF wrote:If it's not necessary to have the 4.13 series kernel, try the 4.4 series.

Yeah, probably shouldn't always install all updates. Will test a rollback when I have time. Atm I have hidden my grub menu so it is a bit of a hassle. Will get back with results when I find the time.
When you reboot, hold down the left Shift key immediately after you Restart---keep it depressed until the Grub menu shows.
LnX

Post by LnX »

JerryF wrote:
LnX wrote:

When you reboot, hold down the left Shift key immediately after you Restart---keep it depressed until the Grub menu shows.
Yeah, that is the behavior I want, but never got it working, on any of my linux installs. As such I simply have no timeout, so I need to edit the grub file. Will hopefully get some time this weekend. Thanks anyway!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

LnX wrote: Yeah, that is the behavior I want, but never got it working, on any of my linux installs. As such I simply have no timeout, so I need to edit the grub file. Will hopefully get some time this weekend. Thanks anyway!
Have you installed and used Grub Customizer? That can sometimes interfere with bringing up Grub with the left Shift key.
Last edited by JerryF on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
LnX

Post by LnX »

JerryF wrote:
LnX wrote: Yeah, that is the behavior I want, but never got it working, on any of my linux installs. As such I simply have no timeout, so I need to edit the grub file. Will hopefully get some time this weekend. Thanks anyway!
Have you installed and used Grub Customizer? Thank can sometimes interfere with bringing up Grub with the left Shift key.
Used that when I had Arch linux. Never had it installed on my mint, but I think we are getting off-topic now. :)
LnX

Post by LnX »

I can confirm that the 4.13 kernel is the issue. I simply purged it from my system and fell back to 4.10 and hibernation works again! If I wanna go for an LTS kernel. What is the difference between:

Reference: https://www.kernel.org/
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

LnX wrote:If I wanna go for an LTS kernel. What is the difference between:
The latest from the 4.4 series is patched for Meltdown. So that's what I would go with.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
LnX

Post by LnX »

Moem wrote:
LnX wrote:If I wanna go for an LTS kernel. What is the difference between:
The latest from the 4.4 series is patched for Meltdown. So that's what I would go with.
Ah, nice! Guess I will go for that then!

Return to “Installation & Boot”