HDD auto mount in v18.3 failes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JosVa

HDD auto mount in v18.3 failes

Post by JosVa »

I upgraded from Mint v17 to v18.1 using a DVD as Mint crashed trying to perform it by using v17 as after a successful (??) upgrade v18.1 did not boot anymore.
The DVD installation worked fine and all runs as expected. Only to discover that changing the GRUB boot order was not working with the graphic user tool anymore. No worry......using the terminal and changing grub.cfg with root rights fixed the problem. However the Internet solutions showed a slight different version of that file. Changing it however was the same and it works like v17.
Somehow got a upgrade for v18.3 (dot three) and after some time watching what happens all looked the same. However, I had to edit grub.cfg again but you get used to that (or not?). AND to discover that my extra HDDś called DATA-on-WD1200 and QUITE-on-WD9600 do not show up automatically after boot. Just clicking on them in Home still does the job but I was used to see them to be mounted from startup. Well in that case you add the HDD's in the file fstab. In Mint v17 that was easy done and well explained in the Internet but in v18.3 this looks completely different and no help yet in the Internet.
Anyone any idea?

Copy of my fstab in Mint v18.3:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=add39276-27e8-4670-a17f-b111508de7ce / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

In the terminal blkid shows up these 2 HDD's with:
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="Quite" UUID="A0DA61D5DA61A7EC" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="57a29401-e8cc-4547-a103-6c4f786c54de"
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="Data on WD1200" UUID="DCB2A4E6B2A4C67C" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="8e6455c6-01"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JayBird707
Level 3
Level 3

Re: HDD auto mount in v18.3 failes

Post by JayBird707 »

The UUID's probably changed. Execute blkid in terminal and check.
ASRock H470M-ITX/ac Home Build on Linux Mint Cinnamon!
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop, HP6300 SFF Desktop, Intel NUC NUC7CJYH Mini All on Linux Mint XFCE!
JosVa

Post by JosVa »

As written above: the fstab file shows up with a different setup about the Linux boot HDD partition.
In Mint v17 I have added an extra HDD after installing by adding this HDD in fstab the easy way as many times described in Internet.
In Mint v18.1 this HDD was found at installing Mint from DVD and showed up mounted automatically at startup.
In Mint v18.3 it is present in Computer and Home <BUT> I have to mount it by hand every time after I start up Mint.

Who can tell me how to mount this HDD automatically at starting up Mint v18.3?
/dev/sdc1: LABEL="Data on WD1200" UUID="DCB2A4E6B2A4C67C" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="8e6455c6-01"
JosVa

Post by JosVa »

Found it. After all it was just the same like in prior Mint versions.
But why after each UPGRADE the settings in fstab and grub.cfg are reset to default, that I do not understand.
But it helps to have a manual written what steps to perform in terminal as a root.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

You didn't only 'upgrade' the old OS, you 'replaced' it too.

Following the 'Something Else' route through the install process, you can add non-OS fixed-volumes and they will be included in the installation.

Editing /etc/fstab and /etc/default/grub is something a system-administrator is expected to know about. They act as stored instructions to Linux and GRUB about how you want the OS to be assembled.

You would not normally edit any OS file outside the /etc/ folder. The file /boot/grub/grub.cfg is created by GRUB for its own use. The next run of update-grub will erase your version. Common permanent changes can be specified in /etc/default/grub and uncommon permanent changes can be made in the file-fragments in /etc/grub.d/
JosVa

Post by JosVa »

Thanks,
These folder options about where grub stores information is new to me :shock:
It worked as along no update was performed :?
I stay away from /boot/ in future :wink:

Return to “Installation & Boot”