Suspend lock out in mint 18 32bit

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Suspend lock out in mint 18 32bit

Post by Silver Surfer »

Hi Guys,
Silver Surfer is in trouble again!
Made ISO disc of Linuxmint KDE 18 32bit. for my old “Windows Vista” Acer laptop ditching Windows. Eventually got it loaded and running.
Had “Go into Suspend set to 10mins” this came into operation, but would not then come alive again. Notice on screen said session switch was broken, cannot restore. To correct type in CTRL+ALT+F2. Then enter “loginctl unlock-sessions”
Before doing this it expected my login password. Which I put in. but it just came back with Password: but would not accept any keyboard characters. Just kept saying “Incorrect password”
As It doesn’t seem possible to enter my password I am now locked out!
Having to post this from another Linux computer
Anyone got any Ideas.

Silver Surfer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Suspend lock out in mint 18 32bit

Post by Silver Surfer »

Hi Guys,
Found a work around to locked out problem.
As I had only just installed it onto HDD from live DVD and not changed much, it was worth re installing and overwriting previous installation.
Then starting afresh, made sure "SUSPEND" option was left unchecked, so can't happen again.
Oh Dear! further problem, Computer now won't close down :roll: :(
I trust the developers with correct the problem in future updates, so "Suspend" and shutdown options work properly.

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
prestonR

Post by prestonR »

I've had suspend/resume issues that were fixed by a different kernel.

As a rule of thumb, lower series (4.4 ) for older hardware, higher ones (4.13) for new gear, however, get the latest version of whatever series you chose, e.g 4.4.0-112 as of now for the 4.4 series.

If a lower series should not fix it don't be afraid to go the other way and try the 4.13 , if there are any boot issues just fall back to your last working kernel that's available under 'Advanced Options' at the grub screen (never uninstall an old kernel until you well and truly know the new-one is fine, there's absolutely no rush)
ZenBeam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ZenBeam »

I was having problems with my computer not coming out of suspend, and solved it by switching to kernel 4.4 from 4.13 after reading this thread: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=261573
I'm on 64 bit, but it may still work for 32 bit. To install the 4.4 kernel, in Update Manager, select View -> Linux kernels, and you can select the most recent 4.4 and install that. It didn't boot to that automatically, I had to select Advanced Options from the Grub menu when booting (this is described more fully in the thread I linked to).
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Thanks Guys,
Might try the lower numbered kernel
Still trying to find my way around Linux on this Acer laptop installation.
Also enjoyed Plasma screen on my Asus laptop (64bit) which was transparent showing plain desktop underneath, so you could use either. Doesn't appear like this on the Acer machine perhaps it's only available on the 64 bit version.

Silver Surfer
ZenBeam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ZenBeam »

I had to completely remove the 4.13 kernels, because they kept getting selected by default when I booted. And then my system kept freezing up. There's probably a way to tell it to use a lower numbered kernel by default, but I don't know how, so deleting the higher numbered kernels was the easiest solution.

Return to “Installation & Boot”