Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
peridot7
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Unable to see Windows after installing LM

Post by peridot7 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:12 pm

Issue: I want to boot into Windows 7 but the grub menu at startup only shows options for Linux Mint.

Linux Mint 18.3 MATE installed this morning

Computer:
Acer Aspire AM3470
AMD Quad-Core A83800 CPU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
1TB hard drive
6GB RAM

I am new to Linux and decided to install Linux Mint alongside Windows 7 while I learned how to work with linux and migrate programs and documents over from Windows.

I installed Linux Mint from a USB and the installation seemed to go well; I selected to install alongside Windows and had the install process allocate 200.5GB to Linux and leave the remaining 786.7GB for Windows. I noted that the Linux partition is /dev/sda4, partition 5.

When given the option to force UEFI, I did not, opting to keep the option for BIOS.

I am concerned that the installation did away with Windows and my existing files.

A full backup was performed to an external USB drive a few days ago (WD My Passport 1TB)

Is there a way to see if Windows still exists on my hard drive – and access the Windows part of my hard drive through Linux?

Or . . .

Will I need to recover the Windows side of my computer from the back up?
Last edited by peridot7 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Unable to see Windows after installing LM

Post by michael louwe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:52 pm

@ peridot7, .......
peridot7 wrote:...
In LM, go to >Menu >Accessories >Disks, to check your partitions on the hard-disk/drive.

LM is installed in Legacy BIOS mode. If Win 7 is installed in UEFI mode, you can only boot Win 7 by changing UEFI/BIOS settings, eg disable CSM or Legacy BIOS.
... If Win 7 is also installed in BIOS mode, then try the fix at ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/grub

peridot7
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable to see Windows after installing LM

Post by peridot7 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Thanks. I can see the partition is still there as the Master Boot Record; in Volumes it is Windows Partition 3, and device /dev/sda/3.

How can I tell whether Windows 7 is installed in UEFI mode?

Is there a way to recover that part of my drive? even if it means losing LM, as I'd much rather start over with LM than lose access to Win 7 and the files there.

EDIT: The BIOS indicates it's running System BIOS v P01-A4, build date 12.20.11. I've been through the screens and I'm not finding how to disable CSM or legacy BIOS.

This is new territory for me and I am so stuck. I'm continuing to research for help online but not finding what I'm looking for; very much appreciate any guidance from the folks here.

EDIT 2:

Wow, I have emerged victorious! After following some of the steps in the article attached above, Grub now includes Windows 7. Solved; thank you again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”