Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jack054
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Linux Mint xfce xfce install from purchased disc

Post by Jack054 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:13 pm

I purchased a Linux Mint XFCE 18.3 disc for update.

I already have 18.2 installed on laptop, but am having a problem with the Synaptic Package Manager, Update Manager and other applications (they will not work because of extra junk related to the true/false line shows a 3 now instead of a 1(a result of my trying to correct the problem). I simply don't know the steps needed to edit out the "extra junk" in the true/false line.

So, I thought installing 18.3 would remove 18.2 in the process, (for a clean install), but it didn't work and the same "extra junk" error shows up in the 18.3 update. When I mount the 18.3 disc there is no install option but 18.3 appears as being installed, but I don't think the 18.3 update is really installed.

How do I remove the 18.2 version so I can clean install the 18.3 version to start over again, or resolve the "extra junk" problem in the 18.2 version so I can use it's Update Manager for installing the 18.3 version.
Thanks
Jack054
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Appended the original thread title to the prefix [solved]. [solved] without the title is pretty meaningless

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint xfce xfce install from purchased disc

Post by catweazel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:19 pm

It really is unclear what your referring to here "(they will not work because of extra junk related to the true/false line shows a 3 now instead of a 1". Please upload some images to http://postimages.org/ and link them in your reply.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:38 pm

if you boot that purchased copy of LinuxMint,
then there should be an Installer Icon on it's live Desktop, that you can click on.

this should then give the usual options to Install LinuxMint over the old version.

can you post, some screen_shots of what you are doing - - back here, on your next post ?.
- so that we can then advise you on what to to, next . .
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Jack054
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack054 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:06 pm

When I loaded the 18.3 disc it showed up on the 18.2 screen.

I then right clicked the disc symbol and selected the mount option and then clicked open.

At that point there was no install option.

I'll try reloading the 18.3 disc in the laptop.

I'm using an android tablet at the moment. I'll try to get screen shots using the laptop.
Thanks for the help.
Jack054

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:59 pm

Jack054 wrote:When I loaded the 18.3 disc it showed up on the 18.2 screen.

I then right clicked the disc symbol and selected the mount option and then clicked open.

At that point there was no install option.
Of course not. You can't install Mint 18.3 while running 18.2. You will only see the install option when you have booted from the disk. Back up all your files, put the disk in the drive and reboot the computer. Then you will see the Install option.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Jack054
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack054 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:36 pm

My original problem started when I was following the "Ten Things To Do ...." tips as I attempted to edit the "etc/apt/..../00" line because I didn't know that "true" ment "1".

I was able to boot the 18.3 after finding the correct Boot option. However, the first couple of times I tried to install the program the "install system" procedure would stop half way through and the screen would go black. The successful installation happened when I did not choose the "third party software" install option. The op system seems to be working and I was able to set up the update options.

Through further reading I found that the slide show may have caused the blackouts when the system was installing.

Now that the system is up and running could the slide show still cause problems if I try to install "third party" software?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 pm

Jack054 wrote:Now that the system is up and running could the slide show still cause problems if I try to install "third party" software?
No. The slide show only runs while you are installing the OS.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Jack054
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack054 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 pm

Solved.
Thanks all.
Jack054

Return to “Installation & Boot”