I just changed out the keyboard and now

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hextejas
Level 2
Level 2

I just changed out the keyboard and now

Post by hextejas »

I get a black screen !!
I changed from a Compaq keyboard with the round connector to a usb keyboard thinking that I could start using the special keys.
Well After rebooting I get the Mint 18.2 splash then a black screen. Rebooted got into the setup so the keyboard works, then while booting, I pressed escape and started to see the startup script but it then went to black screen.

My next try is to revert to the old keyboard unless you can come up with a better answer.

Any ideas ?

Weird.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hextejas
Level 2
Level 2

Re: I just changed out the keyboard and now

Post by hextejas »

Reverting to the old keyboard did not do it.

Grrrrr :oops:
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The two issues are very likely unrelated but for good measure: try turning the system really of for a bit. I.e., unplug it from power (and if a laptop, remove the battery) and wait a few minutes before restarting with the old keyboard unconnected (point is that BIOSen can shuffle IRQ assignments around depending on a PS/2 port being used or not; although even if yours did it should not be an issue).
hextejas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hextejas »

Still trying to figure this out. I agree that changing the keyboard was just coincidental. I did a memchk86 and it was unclear if there were errors. I put in a new memory stick anyway and it still hung up.
Is it possible ( likely ? ) that the power supply is causing this.
I am running cinnamon off of A San Disk, 255gb SSD..
Could it be the cause ?

Gonna check the power supply tomorrow.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

hextejas wrote:Is it possible ( likely ? ) that the power supply is causing this.
Possible certainly; blown capacitors in a PSU vary progressively over the years from unlikely through possible and likely to very likely; can moreover cause any and all symptom basically. A discrete video card is another prime suspect in the case of black screens, possibly together with the former; with the PCIe power-supply of the PSU (if applicable for your system). But sure, a bad sector on HDD or SSD could cause corruption of a binary hence runtime faults; usually more verbosely, but if the X server itself was damaged on disk, who knows.

Basically: we can't tell from over here...
hextejas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hextejas »

solved
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Please tell us how, so that someone else may find your problem as well as the solution. That way, you are contributing to the community.
And in order to make it more easy to find, please mark the topic as solved. My signature will tell you how. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”