Boot hang after Timeshift restore

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sir Charles

Re: Boot hang after Timeshift restore

Post by Sir Charles »

28: No space left on device
This is most probably the source of all the troubles. Did you follow @Pjotr suggestion in the other thread to do some cleaning up?
You can post back the output fromdf -hand maybe df -i as well, in separate boxes. I am not sure which directories/libraries should be cleaned up. I am sure others will take a look at it and will come with suggestions.By the way, do have many old kernels still installed on your system?
thebear

Post by thebear »

I suspect you're right. I did clean up as per other thread, but no good. As you can see from following dev/sda6 is full but I can't delete anything from it. I'm beginning to suspect that Timeshift is the culprit in all this as the snapshots are located in there (I don't think I set it up correctly).

Code: Select all

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            860M     0  860M   0% /dev
tmpfs           176M  7.9M  168M   5% /run
/dev/sda6        19G   19G     0 100% /
tmpfs           879M  7.8M  872M   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           879M     0  879M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda7        37G   13G   22G  38% /home
cgmfs           100K     0  100K   0% /run/cgmanager/fs
tmpfs           176M   36K  176M   1% /run/user/1000
thebear

Post by thebear »

Code: Select all

Filesystem      Inodes  IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
udev            209929    563  209366    1% /dev
tmpfs           219683    795  218888    1% /run
/dev/sda6      1222992 823996  398996   68% /
tmpfs           219683     39  219644    1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           219683      6  219677    1% /run/lock
tmpfs           219683     18  219665    1% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda7      2444624 375891 2068733   16% /home
cgmfs           219683     14  219669    1% /run/cgmanager/fs
tmpfs           219683     23  219660    1% /run/user/1000
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

This /dev/sda6 19G 19G 0 100% / seems to be the problem. Do you get something like "Permission Denied"/ delete option is greyed out, when you try to clean up? In that case you can click your way to the folders you want to delete and right click on them. From the pop-up choose "Open as Root". Type in you password and click OK. Now you can delete those folders you don't need. Be careful not deleting any system directories/folders. Timeshift's backup-folder is a good candidate for removing now. I can't imagine that you will be needing it now at this juncture.
Last edited by Sir Charles on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

thebear wrote: I'm beginning to suspect that Timeshift is the culprit in all this as the snapshots are located in there (I don't think I set it up correctly).
I think keeping those backup folders on an external device might be a better idea in order to not running into similar issues in the future.
thebear

Post by thebear »

I got the ol' "Unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file."

I don't think it's going to be a big deal for me to do a fresh install. Am I just better off going down that path?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Of course as a last resort you can do that. You can choose to overwrite your / and leave out your /home but honestly I am not in a position to know if leaving out /home is a good idea since I don't know the issues you are experiencing have anything to do with conflicting configurations or whatever that might be in /home. And if you go for a completely fresh install you backup of course your personal data in /home. I hope people with more insight into this come along and give you their recommendations. One way or the other there will always be a way out.
cheers
thebear

Post by thebear »

Thanks. I don't really keep anything of importance on my laptop, I save it all to an external hard drive. What is on there has been backed up so I'm thinking I will just bite the bullet and do a new install. I'm reluctant to keep using my laptop whilst I can't update it, not to mention the annoying issues I've also mentioned.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Go ahead and good luck!
You might consider having a partition on your external drive for snapshots from Timeshift. It is recommended that only backup / and not /home and Timeshift with default settings do just that. For backing up /home you can use Backup Tool in Mint or Back In Time. The latter can be installed from the repositories. I, personally make my snapshots with Timeshift manually and don't use the automated schedule. I feel I have better control over the process. Have a look at http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html as well if you like, if you haven't already.
Ciao!
Last edited by Sir Charles on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebear

Post by thebear »

Thanks for all your help Marziano (and Cosmo), I think I'm headed down that track.
thebear

Post by thebear »

I have done a fresh install of 18.3 xfce 32-bit and everything is running fine. All issues are gone. My only issue now is that I have just discovered that there are no security patches for 32-bit systems against Meltdown. Wondering if I can install a 64-bit version on a 32-bit machine but I have raised that question in another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=263570

Return to “Installation & Boot”