Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
adilhaimoura
Level 1
Level 1

U EFI Installation problem

Post by adilhaimoura » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:43 pm

Hello every one
First I would like to pay my respect to every member on Linuxmint team and Cinnamon team for the beautiful environment that is running on our computers,

Here I want to draw your tension to a problem in u(efi) installation … this happens to me in 2 separate computers on is HP workstation which is uses efi hibered Bios so it was not big deal as I alternatively changed into legacy mode and installed linux mint but this was not the case in the laptop Sony Vaio

In both case the same problem after starting installation and formatting the hdd and let Linux mint Cinnamon 18.3 installer make the necessary changes automatically by choosing ( erase everything and install mint) … the installation just crash on the point while trying to but the grub on the /boot directory and never can be done even with boot repair CD … but when try to use ubuntu unity version 16.04.3 it is installed as it should be with the same option (erase every thing ..) also fedora 27 mint installed normally on the same two computers … so this problem is concernd with linux mint and not the PC’s

I use my External Hdd with the Software E2B and uses the converter to convert iso file into .imgPTN which is can replace to boot partition and mount the image as efi booting for more details about this I may refer to there website
http://www.easy2boot.com

I hope I have explained the situation in a way you can understand ..
please do not mind my English as I am not native English speaker and try to got the point
Thank you again and looking to see LM 19 next April

adilhaimoura
Level 1
Level 1

Re: U EFI Installation problem

Post by adilhaimoura » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:21 am

Hello
Any idea's!! :D :D

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Re: U EFI Installation problem

Post by fabien85 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:05 am

I dont know what's going wrong, but here is a workaround :
- install Mint without bootloader by launching the installer with

Code: Select all

ubiquity -b
from a terminal
- install grub manually with these instructions (you can do that also with an Ubuntu live USB, or any Ubuntu-based distro)
alternatively install refind, using the install script instructions at the fallback location on the EFI partition :
./refind-install --usedefault /dev/sda1 (assuming sda1 is your EFI partition)
See the man page of refind-install for the explanation of the --usedefault option

Return to “Installation & Boot”