Booting: Keyboard and touchpad unresponsive if DVD drive connected to USB hub.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TL7

Booting: Keyboard and touchpad unresponsive if DVD drive connected to USB hub.

Post by TL7 »

If I connect a DVD drive with Linux Mint or Ubuntu (don't fight please) directly to the USB port, and boot the live OS, everything works as expected.

If I connect the DVD drive to an USB hub, and boot from it, GRUB still responds to keyboard input and allows me to select the boot option.

After selecting any of the 4 options (data integrity scan, OEM install, live boot, compatible live boot), the system boots, the clock in the taskbar runs, but the touchpad and laptop keyboard do not work. I have not tested external peripherals yet.
Not even any magic SysRQ or tty switching using CTRL+ALT+F# keys work.

If any further information is needed, please do not hesitate asking.
I would appreciate any explaination provided.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mrjimphelps

Re: Booting: Keyboard and touchpad unresponsive if DVD drive connected to USB hub.

Post by mrjimphelps »

Get a powered USB hub, that is, one that has its own power with its own AC adapter. There is not enough power in the hub you are currently using to power the mouse, the keyboard, and the DVD drive all at the same time.

Return to “Installation & Boot”