Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
spi_
Level 1
Level 1

I have 64Gb USB in persistent mode...

Post by spi_ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 am

:?: I have 64Gb USB in persistent mode created "Fat32" from Windows 8.1 64Gb. How can I resize(bigger) created 2Gb now stays 200K partition "aufs" or change in another partition, this is done becouse run "sudo apt upgrade". With gparted or something else?

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I have 64Gb USB in persistent mode...

Post by austin.texas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:00 am

Which Mint? 18.3?
What is the result of

Code: Select all

lsblk -o model,name,size,fstype,label,mountpoint
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

spi_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spi_ » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:30 pm

Is Mint 18.3...

tomorrow I run "lsblk -o model,name,size,fstype,label,mountpoint" ...

what is "lsblk -o model,name,size,fstype,label,mountpoint" ?

What version Skype can I installing to send sms?

thanks...

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:40 pm

spi_ wrote:what is "lsblk -o model,name,size,fstype,label,mountpoint" ?
information
https://ss64.com/bash/lsblk.html
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:55 pm

As a quick-fix you can move inert data out of the OS persistence file and into the host storage, which is mounted under /cdrom/ This space is writable by superuser and readable by everyone. If you have updated the OS there will be a lot of space used by downloaded packages... they can go into root-only storage like this...
sudo mv /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb /cdrom/

Read-mostly data files in your $HOME are good candidates too... photo, video, audio, iso.

You can increase the size of a casper-rw file, while it's running, up to the maximum FAT32 limit of 4GiB. This command adds zeroes to the end of the file until it won't get any bigger, then expands the file-system to use the new space. Treat this as 'experimental' and have your unique files backed up somewhere else, first.
sudo bash -c "A=/cdrom/casper-rw ; cat /dev/zero >> $A ; resize2fs $A"

You can have a second persistence file called home-rw just for your /home directory. If it exists the casper system will mount it for you next boot, hiding the existing contents of /home. You can use a copy of your casper-rw file re-formatted empty for this...
sudo bash -c "A=/cdrom/casper-rw ; B=/cdrom/home-rw ; cp $A $B ; mkfs.ext4 $B"
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

spi_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spi_ » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:06 am

Hello, one question, I have another 64Gb USB How can I create in NTFS mode Mint 18.3 in persistent mode? there is more space in NTFS? with what utility? What version of Skype can I install to send SMS message?

thanks a lot...

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:34 am

"Can I create in NTFS mode Mint 18.3 in persistent mode?" I doubt it. It might work this year even though it didn't work last year. Sometimes you just have to try it yourself to see if it works. For a first experiment I would use ext3 as the host file system and build the persistent live OS in there.

Without changing stick-1 at all, you can format stick-2 as ext3 and name it home-rw to get a 64GB home folder. Just boot stick-1 with stick-2 plugged in as well.

"What version of Skype can I install to send SMS message?" This deserves a new topic... it's nothing to do with USB persistence. Specifying Skype might not be a good idea if "How can I send SMS messages from Mint" is what you really mean.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

mikecolley
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikecolley » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 am

My solution is to use gparted because it is easy for me to use.

I use gparted to

1 - make backups (this is #1 use)
2 - copy partitions
3 - make partitions larger
4 - change partition flags
5 - inspect disks
6 - create partitions

I use the gparted from the Cinnamon 17.2 LIVE SYSTEM because it gives me a better progress indicator for huge backups

Note: I don't use it to make partitions smaller, that failed once for me

My system is Cinnamon 17.2 persistence made with LILO with over 100GB persistence casper-rw on USB3 Sandisk Ultra.

- Mike Colley

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 am

spi_ wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:30 pm
What version Skype can I installing to send sms?
I have never had any experience with Skype... but you can send sms from your email client.
The key is knowing the correct email format to use.
where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number
NOTE: all phone numbers and email addresses have been changed to protect the guilty. They are fake.
EXAMPLE: My daughter, Shaniah - 5125555556@messaging.sprintpcs.com
test email to my phone 5125555556@messaging.sprintpcs.com - WORKED
test email to my phone 5125555556@pm.sprint.com - did not work
test email to Steve's phone 5125555557@txt.att.net - WORKED - reply received in gmail.

test email to Lisa's phone 5125555558@messaging.sprintpcs.com - WORKED - reply received in gmail.
to: dan@gmail.com
The message you received was sent from gmail to: 5125555558@txt.att.net
Your reply was received in my gmail, just like any email I get -
To: dan@gmail.com

Since I am on boostmobile (Sprint network), to reverse the process - that is, you sending me a text from your email, you would send an email to my phone - To: 5125555556@sms.myboostmobile.com
That text will arrive on my phone. My reply from my phone would arrive in your email.

EMAIL ADDRESSES:
AT&T: phonenumber@txt.att.net AT&T MMS: phonenumber@MMS.att.net - WORKS
Alltel: phonenumber@message.alltel.com
Bell Canada: [10-digit-phone-number]@txt.bellmobility.ca
Boost - cellnumber@sms.myboostmobile.com - WORKS
Cellular South: [10-digit-phone-number]@csouth1.com
Centennial Wireless: [10-digit-phone-number]@cwemail.com
Cincinnati Bell: [10-digit-phone-number]@gocbw.com
Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
Cricket Wireless phonenumber@sms.mycricket.com For multimedia messages: phonenumber]@mms.mycricket.com
Metro PCS: phonenumber@MyMetroPcs.com or phonenumber@metropcs.sms.us
Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com
Powertel: phonenumber@ptel.net
Qwest: cellnumber@qwestmp.com
Rogers: [10-digit-phone-number]@pcs.rogers.com
Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com - WORKS Picture messages to Sprint is: phonenumber]@pm.sprint.com
SunCom: phonenumber@tms.suncom.com
T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
Telus: [10-digit-phone-number]@msg.telus.com
Tracfone (prepaid)number@mmst5.tracfone.com
US Cellular: phonenumber@email.uscc.net
Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com MMS - phonenumber@vzwpix.com
Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com MMS: 5125555557@vmpix.com
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/939/sms_ ... on_virgin/

FreeSMSGateway.info will return the correct sms gateway email addresses for your contacts' phone numbers, (free).

Online sms app - http://freesms.appzend.net/ will send sms messages from their website. This service doesn't offer the option to supply a reply number or address for recipient to reply to. But you can put that inside the SMS message if needed.
Linux Linx 2018

spi_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spi_ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:57 am

Good morning, in 64 Gb USB. the persistent mode size is 4 Gb and stay 800Kb, what can I do to moves from persistent mode in rest 60Gb and what data moves?

thanks...

pbear
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pbear » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:24 pm

Mute Ant answered that question already in this post. Alternatively, you could start over and create a persistent flash drive using a casper-rw partition, but that's a bit complicated (see here). Better still might be to do full install to the flash drive, which will give a you a system which can be properly maintained, but that can be tricky depending on whether your computer uses UEFI or BIOS.

By the way, be aware all these options will burn out a flash drive relatively quickly. How quickly varies, but many users report getting only a couple months of daily use. An external hard drive will last much longer (and have much more space), but probably only would be cost effective with the full install option.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

Return to “Installation & Boot”