Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kambeinux
Level 1
Level 1

Authentication sha256sum.txt, gpg command not found

Post by Kambeinux » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:23 am

Hi All,

I have never used Linux and I am trying first of all to create a bootable USB drive to install Mint.
I am following the Mint installation guide first of all to download file.iso, check the integrity and atuthentication of sha256sum.txt.
I am using windows actually so after the linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso dowloading I have downloaded and installed Cygwin64 Terminal (setup-x86_64.exe) to make the checks of integrity and authentication. The integrity check was ok so I have run the authentication check of sha256sum.txt using the suggested commnad line:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7 D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"

but the ouput of the command was

-bash: gpg: command not found

The same output occurs if I use the other two command lines suggested in the installation guide:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key A25BAE09
gpg --list-key --with-fingerprint A25BAE09

So I suppose that gpg is not installed in Cygwin. I have installed it accepting the defaults. I don't know how to run correctly the authentication check.
May someone help me ?

Thanks
Kambeinux

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Authentication sha256sum.txt, gpg command not found

Post by JoeFootball » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Kambeinux wrote:So I suppose that gpg is not installed in Cygwin.
I would agree. This article seems to have some more information on that.

Joe

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:37 pm

I have installed many Linux iso's without verification and had no problems. Now Linux Mint has a built in SHA256 check so now all my iso's are verified with a couple of clicks. My advise is to ignore the verification this time and go ahead and install it. I am certain you will be fine and after that it will be easy to verify iso's. If you are paranoid then download the iso to your new system verify it and reload.

Take my advise and keep it simple, no encryption. I would use Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 first and then if you wish load other versions. Should you by some quirk of fate get a bad iso, you would have a great post about it. So, do not be afraid, just proceed foreward. :)

Kambeinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kambeinux » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Thank you so much guys for the advices.
I have read the article suggested by Joefootball and applied the procedure described in it. It works ! :D
I have been able to make succesfully the check and it was ok.
So I have completed the flashing of the ISO and I am the happy owner of a USB bootble drive for Mint Installation :D

Thanks again
Kambeinux

Return to “Installation & Boot”