Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DirtyTacoMeat
Level 1
Level 1

Mint USB Crashes after selecting live session

Post by DirtyTacoMeat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:06 pm

I want to dual boot Mint on my new desktop. I'll run though my process and try to be descriptive as I can. (I'm Green to Linux, but I'm not computer illiterate)

I followed the steps on creating a Bootable USB. I tested the flash drive on my laptop and I was able to load a live session well. Now on to the new desktop.

(specs) z170 ASUS mobo, Intel i7 6700k, 16gig Corsair Vengeance RAM, nVidia GTX 1060 6gig, Kingston 120gig SSD.

First, I load a fresh install of windows 7 pro, no problems.
Next I F8 into my boot menu, select "Generic Flash Drive" (There are two options for this drive)
I see the "Boot in 9 sec screen"
Now the select screen, I choose the top (as I did on my laptop)
Now this screen appears Image. After a few seconds I hear a chime and then it seemingly has locked up. I can't make heads or tails of what any of this means.
Fine, I'll try the other usb option to boot from. Same thing really except the font is small and different. errors and a scroll of random looking dots (Resembles a 3d bar-code somewhat). I hear the chime again and then nothing.
Maybe Compatibility mode? Same result.

Maybe the Flash got corrupted? I reformat the Flash Drive and remake it. Same result.
I then mess with my bios settings, (set usb legacy to ENABLED from AUTO, same result. Turn off fast boot, same result.)

I googled what I could out of these errors, (Nothing brought me here) and all the results do not seem to apply to what I'm trying to do.
I've been searching the forum as well as I can. There are a lot of things similar to my problem but it would seem most of them happen AFTER Mint has been installed from the live session, subsequently most of the solutions are terminal commands that I wouldn't be able to access.

From the look of this forum, it would seem that this is a graphics card issue (though that's just a guess). However my laptop is an older i7 with an nVidia GPU as well(Alienware mx11), and the live session worked fine.

Can anyone tell me the next things I need to try?

MrEen
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint USB Crashes after selecting live session

Post by MrEen » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Go here: https://linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php and scroll down to "Solving freezes during the boot sequence" and you should be good to go.

DirtyTacoMeat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DirtyTacoMeat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:38 pm

Okay, first thing. Thank you.
Next, tried nomodeset... looked liked it was working, then it chimed and then no output to my monitor.

Since I have two monitors plugged in, I unplugged one of them. Same result
Tried a different monitor. Same result.
So it's not getting through the card...
Unplug the monitor and plug it into the mobo's onboard video output (I suppose I'm luck to have that... this is the first mobo I owned with that capability) ran it... works!
I am now in a live session.

Now... other than installing Mint... should I do somthing whilst I'm in here? Any nvidia driver stuff or whatever? I don't want to close out and not be able to get back.

MrEen
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MrEen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:59 am

I believe after you've installed you then go to Driver Manager to select the driver for your nvidia card.

BTW. Welcome to the forum!

Return to “Installation & Boot”