Recovering Data in Linux Mint partition after Windows update messes up dual-boot system

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Gilles
Level 1
Level 1

Recovering Data in Linux Mint partition after Windows update messes up dual-boot system

Post by Gilles » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon version 18.1 (64-bit) on my Lenovo laptop maybe a year ago. I've been using Mint 99% of the time, with Windows being a necessary evil for certain specific programs I need to use occasionally.

The last time I booted into Windows 10, a bunch of updates began and I figured what the heck, I'll let it go.

Since then, my boot menu is gone and the PC boots only in Windows.

I've tried downloading and burning "boot repair disk" but to no avail. I got some help from the boot repair disk website where they told me the Linux system files are damaged. I might be lucky if I reinstall the same version over the previous one, using the same password and partitioning.

Is there any way I can access my Linux partition and recover the files I had saved? There aren't that many because I back them up but there are some recent documents I'd really like to recover.

Thanks in advance for your help

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Recovering Data in Linux Mint partition after Windows update messes up dual-boot system

Post by WharfRat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Hello Gilles Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

If the linux file system isn't completely corrupt it is not only possible to recover your file, it is also a simple process.

All you need to do is boot the installation media and mount the linux partition.

Additionally you'll need an external disk or flash drive to copy the files to.

If you have questions on how to do that, feel free to ask.

Good luck :wink:
Image ImageImage

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Recovering Data in Linux Mint partition after Windows update messes up dual-boot system

Post by trytip » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:23 pm

try a different live linux and you'll get the files. for some reason mint won't let you open a users files. it will work with pclinuxos https://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos/mate/

if you want to re-install grub it is easy provided that boot repair didn't already break something cause it always does. to re-install grub you'll need a live linux mint usb and find: lsblk the device name where linux root partition is should be sda1 or sda2 if you have one single drive then once ready
su
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda <<< this will install grub again on device sda if you have one drive
update-grub
exit

Gilles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gilles » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 am

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I had trouble getting to see my files when booting with a MateOS disk. I ended up downloading and running R-Linux on my Windows partition, and after a scan, I could see my files and transfer them to an external hard drive.

Thanks for you help :)

michael louwe
Level 8
Level 8

Post by michael louwe » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:56 am

@ Gilles, .......
Gilles wrote:...
Try the fix at these links ... https://askubuntu.com/questions/838780/ ... every-time (windows-10-changes-uefi-boot-order-every-time)
https://askubuntu.com/questions/235567/ ... ot-manager (windows-8-removes-grub-as-default-boot-manager)

Return to “Installation & Boot”