Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
handyman4848
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED - Grub will not boot Windows 10

Post by handyman4848 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 pm

After an upgrade to linux mint 18.3 from linux mint 17.3, I can no longer boot into Windows 10. Windows 10 appears on the grub menu but if selected, the screen goes dark for a few seconds the the grub menu re-appears.

I did a clean install, not an upgrade. I deleted my linux mint 17.3 partitions (/, /home and swap) then installed linux mint 18.2 from a usb live stick. When installing I selected "Windows Boot Manager" as the device for installing the Grub boot loader and the installation proceeded normally. After the install completed the grub menu appeared as usual and booted into linux mint 18.3 with no difficulty and everything works properly. Only when Windows 10 is selected is there a problem. As stated previously selecting Windows 10 results in a black screen for a few seconds followed by the re-appearance of the grub menu.

I have run update-grub but it does not help. Since Windows 10 appears in the grub Menu it seems that grub recognizes Windows but seems to be looking in the wrong place for the Windows boot loader.

Can anyone help me in solving this problem?

I have attached a screen-shot of my partition table.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
Attachments
Partioion Table.png
Last edited by handyman4848 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mattyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Grub will not boot Windows 10

Post by Mattyboy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi. You've, unfortunately, exceeded more that 4 partitions on the drive. That will break Windows ( because its dumb ).

The quickest way of restoring your system would be to start again with a clean drive. Guessing you want a data partition, two primary partitions one for windows one for data and one logical to install a partitioned Linux.

There may be a way of restoring your current Windows install but its going to be a major headache and you'll probably get better help on a Windows forum.

If it were me I'd back up my data and go for the full re-install making a suitable partition table first ( Windows first then Linux, you'll need to clean the drive from Windows command prompt using DISKPART ).

handyman4848
Level 1
Level 1

Post by handyman4848 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks for your input Mattyboy, but this is the exact same setup I had with Linux Mint 17.3 before upgrading and it worked fine for me for quite some time so I can't see it as the cause of my current problems.

Marziano
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marziano » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:22 pm

@Mattyboy
Isn't the partitoning alright all the same with 3 primary partitions for Windows and a 4th extended one where Linux is installed?

@handyman4848
Just a thought: Can you still boot into Windows from BIOS?

Edit: here is what I found in ArchWiki. Can something like this apply to your install?
Bootloader UEFI vs BIOS limitations
Most of the linux bootloaders installed for one firmware type cannot launch or chainload bootloaders of other firmware type. That is, if Arch is installed in UEFI-GPT or UEFI-MBR mode in one disk and Windows is installed in BIOS-MBR mode in another disk, the UEFI bootloader used by Arch cannot chainload the BIOS installed Windows in the other disk. Similarly if Arch is installed in BIOS-MBR or BIOS-GPT mode in one disk and Windows is installed in UEFI-GPT in another disk , the BIOS bootloader used by Arch cannot chainload UEFI installed Windows in the other disk.

The only exceptions to this are grub(2) in Apple Macs in which EFI installed grub(2) can boot BIOS installed OS via appleloader command (does not work in non-Apple systems), and rEFInd which technically supports booting legacy BIOS OS from UEFI systems, but does not always work in non-Apple UEFI systems as per its author Rod Smith.

However if Arch is installed in BIOS-GPT in one disk and Windows is installed in BIOS-MBR mode in another disk, then the BIOS bootloader used by Arch CAN boot the Windows in the other disk, if the bootloader itself has the ability to chainload from another disk.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du ... oot_loader
In the Grand Scheme of Things, everything on Earth is nothing but an annoying Bug.

Elizine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elizine » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:23 am

Edit

Code: Select all

/boot/grub/grub.cfg
Find

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry 'Windows 10 (loader) (on /dev/sdXX)'
After

chainloader +1
Write

ntldr /bootmgr 
Hope this works for you.

michael louwe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by michael louwe » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:28 am

@ handyman4848, .......
handyman4848 wrote:...
The "Device for boot loader installation" should have been the internal hard-drive or /sda, and not the Windows Boot Manager(or /sda1).

If above solutions do not work, try reinstalling Grub ... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/grub

Marziano
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marziano » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:15 am

If you need to repair/reinstall the Grub and/or repair the mbr, there is a handy tool called boot-repair. You can install it on your Mint's Live USB and run it from there. Here are two links that can be of use if you feel like having a look:
https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
In the Grand Scheme of Things, everything on Earth is nothing but an annoying Bug.

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Post by administrollaattori » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:20 pm

handyman4848 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 pm
When installing I selected "Windows Boot Manager" as the device for installing the Grub boot loader and the installation proceeded normally.
Download and run Boot Info Script and tell the result.
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

JerryF
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JerryF » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Mattyboy wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:45 pm
Hi. You've, unfortunately, exceeded more that 4 partitions on the drive.
That's not correct. He has an MBR disk with 3 Primary partitions and 1 Extended partition with 3 Logical Partitions. All which is fine.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

handyman4848
Level 1
Level 1

Post by handyman4848 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks Elizine that solution worked for me. Thanks also to the others who responded. This is sure a great resource for people having problems. Now all I have to do is remember how to mark the subject closed. :)

JerryF
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JerryF » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:26 pm

handyman4848 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm
Now all I have to do is remember how to mark the subject closed. :)
Just look at my signature below in red.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

Mattyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Mattyboy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:36 pm

JerryF wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 pm

That's not correct. He has an MBR disk with 3 Primary partitions and 1 Extended partition with 3 Logical Partitions. All which is fine.
Yeah, you're right, my bad, jumped the gun ( must stop doing that ). +1

Return to “Installation & Boot”