How to remove a Linux Mint system installed alongside another Linux Mint system without making the computer unbootable?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kmph
Level 2
Level 2

How to remove a Linux Mint system installed alongside another Linux Mint system without making the computer unbootable?

Post by kmph » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:48 am

Long story short:

1) I had a laptop with Win7 installed
2) I installed LinuxMint alongside Win7;
3) Then I installed another installation of Linux Mint alongside these two systems;
4) And now I'd like to get rid of this second Linux Mint installation.

How?

The problem is, to my best understanding, it is this other installation of Mint that is in control of the booting process now. To make changes how the first installation boots, that is to make it use the Meltdown/Spectre-patched version of kernel, I had to do this from this second installation. So, if I'm not mistaken, simply deleting the partitions of this other installation will make my computer unbootable, because I'll delete GRUB, is that right?

If I'm not wrong, I have to somehow again put this first installation in control of the booting process, but how?

brianshel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to remove a Linux Mint system installed alongside another Linux Mint system without making the computer unbootab

Post by brianshel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:51 am

Let's describe Windows as operating system OS1
your first Mint installation as OS2
and your unwanted 2nd Mint installation as OS3.

Fire up your laptop, and when you get to the grub screen select OS2. This is the one you want to keep, correct? OS2 is probably not the default OS if you have been using OS3.

In terminal do 'sudo grub-install /dev/sda'
(that is assuming the hard disk is sda which it certainly will be if your laptop only has one hard drive).

Then do 'sudo update-grub'.

Then reboot. Make sure you select OS2 (which will should now be the default) in grub. OS3 will still appear in grub, so be careful; you definitely do not want to boot into OS3.

Now to remove your unwanted Mint installation fire up 'gparted'.
In the gui you will see your three operating systems in separate partitions. Neither Windows nor your unwanted Mint OS will show as 'mounted'. Simply right click on the unwanted (and unmounted) Mint partition(s) and select 'delete'.

You can then be able to install the patched kernel versions, which should appear in update manager.

kmph
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to remove a Linux Mint system installed alongside another Linux Mint system without making the computer unbootab

Post by kmph » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 am

Many thanks for your info!

Return to “Installation & Boot”