[SOLVED] ryzen 7 1800x Mint 18.3 MATE fails to install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
menzellu
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] ryzen 7 1800x Mint 18.3 MATE fails to install

Post by menzellu »

Hello wizards,

My system has the following hardware:

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8 core processor
64GB RAM
512GB SSD sata
DVD drive
Motherboard is: Gygabite AB350-Gaming 3
Nvidia graphics card low-end model

I am trying to install Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (Sylvia).

The BIOS is configured to boot from the DVD drive. The SSD drive is the second in the boot sequence.

It does boot up and I see the initial menu that offers to install mint, check the installation media or boot from a local disk.

I select to start the mint installation.

Then I see some lines on the display as if the memory corresponding to the video was being changed, and then locks up, it does not show any error messages.

On the same hardware and bios settings I was able to install Fedora server 27, then added the MATE desktop. The display resolution was only 1024 by 768. Then added the Nvidia driver to allow the resolution to go up to 1920 by 1280.

It seems that the only Kernel version that works is 4.13, lower or higher cause boot problems or lockups.

How to troubleshoot this?

Thanks and best regards... menzellu

PS: I have been using MINT for many years, always with AMD processors and MATE desktop, never had so much trouble before.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
menzellu
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ryzen 7 1800x Mint 18.3 MATE fails to install

Post by menzellu »

forgot to mention that I have tried with another motherboard with similar outcomes

Asus PRIME B350-PLUS

Regards... menzellu
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

The 4.10 series kernel that 18.3 comes with should at least get you going. Earlier kernels simply do not support Ryzen and it's recommended that you move to the 4.13 series as soon as you get it installed. With that said, make sure you have the latest BIOS: F20 dated 2018/02/07

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x#support-dl

The same applies to the Asus board; install the latest BIOS.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME ... Desk_BIOS/

Version 3803, dated 2018/01/26.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ menzellu, .......
menzellu wrote:...
To solve freezing screen problems with Nvidia graphics card ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
For Nvidia, if still unsuccessful, try modprobe.blacklist=nouveau
menzellu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by menzellu »

catweazel wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:25 pm The 4.10 series kernel that 18.3 comes with should at least get you going. Earlier kernels simply do not support Ryzen and it's recommended that you move to the 4.13 series as soon as you get it installed. With that said, make sure you have the latest BIOS: F20 dated 2018/02/07

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-A ... support-dl

The same applies to the Asus board; install the latest BIOS.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME ... Desk_BIOS/

Version 3803, dated 2018/01/26.
Thanks these suggestions were right on!

Updated the BIOS of the Gigabyte motherboard to F21.

Then booted from the Mint 18.3 Sylvia MATE DVD, selected the SAFE mode option, the standard install would not work. The installer works on 1024 by 768 resolution and with a video driver that is compatible.

After installation, on the welcome page, selected drivers and enabled the Nvidia Display driver and AMD microcode driver

After that rebooted again and the display works using the Nvidia driver and full resolution.

Something looks odd, however. The Mint logo that is shown during boot looks huge and so are the green dots. Pressing ESC does not show the boot log activities it remains showing the mint logo and the huge dots.

Mint seems to be working OK, however there is no sound, any hints on this?

Thanks and best regards...

menzellu
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

menzellu wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:23 pm Thanks these suggestions were right on!
I'm pleased :)
Mint seems to be working OK, however there is no sound, any hints on this?
It would be best to start a new thread for that issue.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Installation & Boot”