Dual Boot With Windows On NVME drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
razorback

Dual Boot With Windows On NVME drive

Post by razorback »

I have recently built a new PC that I want to dual boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. I have tried many suggestions from other posts here and on the web and have had no success. Each OS is on its own drive with Grub on the Linux install. Fdisk finds both drives but updating grub does not find the windows drive. It shows up as /dev/nvme1n1 (M.2 NVME drive) in Fdisk. Are NVME drives compatible with dual booting? I have read posts regarding disklabel types. The windows drive shows DOS and the mint drive shows GPT. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Dual Boot With Windows On NVME drive

Post by catweazel »

razorback wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:51 pm Are NVME drives compatible with dual booting?
Linux supported NVMe well before Windwoes. The only difference you'll see is the device designation nvme1n1 as opposed to say sda, so the problem must lie elsewhere.
but updating grub does not find the windows drive
How are you updating grub?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
razorback

Post by razorback »

Thanks for the reply. I mounted the drive to be able to browse in the file explorer. Fdisk displayed the drive. I used the sudo update-grub command which only found windows. I also tried modifying the custom_40 file. Not sure what else to do.
Last edited by razorback on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

razorback wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 pm Not sure what else to do.
Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

sudo os-prober
Enclose the results in code markers, which you can select from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.

Edit: Perhaps this might help.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
razorback

Post by razorback »

sudo os-prober does not return anything.

I did try boot-repair but received a popup:

GPT detected. Please create a BIOS-Boot partition (>1MB, unformatted filesystem, bios_grub flag). This can be performed via tools such as Gparted. Then try again.
Alternatively, you can retry after activating the [Separate /boot/efi partition:] option.
razorback

Post by razorback »

Never mind. Mint seems nice but gonna find a better distro....

Return to “Installation & Boot”