Mint installation does not end: black screen when starting

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PahanCafa

Mint installation does not end: black screen when starting

Post by PahanCafa »

Hello good day, I am using the translator I regret the writing. I have a problem with installing Mint on my PC.

Before starting, my PC is an HP Pavilion DV 9000 laptop; 2GB RAM, Turion processor 64x2 1.6 GHz, 128mb integrated NVIDIA video.

Well I had Linux Mint 18.2 32bit running perfectly, and as some friends had me tired of asking me to install Windows to play something together, I decided to make a partition for Win 7 and take advantage of upgrading to Mint 18.3 64bit. I started a CD that I have called Rescue CD 2011 and made the respective partitions and formatted the ntfs for Windows and ext4 where my Mint was. I tried to start Win 7 first so that later it would not damage the GRUB, but nothing that started the installation (the ISO works, a friend installed it); I tried to start Rescue CD to see what happened, and did not finish the process either, I decided to install Mint first so as not to get entangled anymore, and to my surprise it does not start the installation either! :? open the installation menu, I give it to start, and after waiting 45 min- 1 hour with the Mint symbol, the screen remains black. I already tested the HD from the BIOS and everything was perfect, and I tested the RAM from the installer of Mint and also 0 errors, I do not know what to do, I tried to install both systems with Rufus, Unetbootin, Yumi ... :cry:

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
yomane

Re: Mint installation does not end: black screen when starting

Post by yomane »

Hi @PahanCafa

What's the capacity of your hard drive ?

How much space did you leave for each partition?

For example
- In the bios, you have to remove the options -boot secure, and fast boot..and acitivate option uefi....
minimun space for linux MInt 50go (20go for root/ 2go swap; home 30go

@+
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

to make your computer dual boot with windows and linux, you must have the windows 7 installed FIRST...then you can install linux mint...all should be good after that...DAMIEN
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ PahanCafa, .......
PahanCafa wrote:...
No need to use the Rescue CD 2011 to pre-partition the 100GB hard drive. Just clean install Win 7 by wiping the hard drive. Then install LM alongside Win 7.

The Nvidia graphics card may give a blank screen problem = ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php

For Nvidia, if still unsuccessful, try modprobe.blacklist=nouveau
PahanCafa

Post by PahanCafa »

yomane wrote:
Hello! thanks for answering. Those options in BIOS do not appear, I have very basic options, just choose the boot order, test the hard drive, and choose how much integrated video I want to assign to the PC. My hard drive is 500gb, I assigned 25gb for W7, the rest was 25gb for root, 1gb boot, 4gb swap, 400+ home
DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Okay thanks. The problem is that neither the W7 installer nor the Mint installer starts, not even the LiveCD :(
michael louwe wrote:
Thank you. I'll try to start another LiveCD to see if I can restore the MBR; I had seen that some Nvidia graphics had caused problems, however I was using LM 18.2 for 6 months and had not had any problems :(

PD: I started in compatibility mode and it was more than an hour going out hundreds of command lines, then I turned it off, is that normal? I leave you waiting for more time?
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Did you try adding kernel parameters "nomodeset" or "nouveau.noaccel=1" ? see the release notes for the procudure https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sylvia_cinnamon.php > Solving freezes during the boot sequence

Return to “Installation & Boot”