(Solved) Is it possible to install Linux onto the hard disk without deleting Windows Vista?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

(Solved) Is it possible to install Linux onto the hard disk without deleting Windows Vista?

Post by Matthew_Wai »

A friend of mine gave me an unused HP Pavilion v7078hk computer with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, Intel Core2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz, 3GB RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE. Is it possible to install Linux onto the hard disk without deleting Windows Vista? It is an MBR disk, so I think the motherboard does not support UEFI.

Partition 2.jpg
The disk has three partitions. D is the OEM recovery partition. Windows Vista is on partition C. Partition N was just created with AOMEI Partition Assistant half an hour ago.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have Windows, UnionTech OS, and Linux Mint on the same HDD.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is it possible to install Linux onto the hard disk without deleting Windows Vista?

Post by Flemur »

Matthew_Wai wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:55 pm I think the motherboard does not support UEFI.
That's good if true - but MAKE SURE. It matters.
Partition N was just created with AOMEI Partition Assistant half an hour ago.
That's big enough, but linux doesn't go on NTFS. But that's not a problem.

You could choose "Alongside" install = it automagically installs alongside windows.
or
"something else" install = you tell it everything, which should be pretty easy, since you only need to tell it:
--take the space from partition N and format most of it to ext4.
--use the rest of the space for a swap partition = 1.5* your memory size.

I'd do "something else" and during the install, keep track of which partition is which to you can ID this one N: (by the size if you don't know the /dev/sdaX, X=1,2,3...). N: will become the "/" and swap partition. If MBR you don't need a boot partition, and you never really need a /home partition, so might as well do it the easy way.

You'll be able to access your windows partitions from linux, but not vice-versa.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Is it possible to install Linux onto the hard disk without deleting Windows Vista?

Post by wallyUSA »

@Matthew:
Let me ask a couple basic questions – why would you want to keep Vista? It was last released in 2009, long before UEFI.
If you must keep it, you have some options:

1) Dual boot where you install Linux beside Windows and decide a boot time which OS you want to use. You can run one but decide to use the other you have to shutdown and boot again.

2) Install a virtual box that lets you install Linux under or using Windows. If you have enough horse power (cpu & RAM) you could run both Windows and virtual box/windows at the same time.

So what is your objective?

UPDATE: If you do not need Vista, then you can install Linux and devote all you resources to Linux (all the memory and all the disk).
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

I have downloaded Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - Cinnamon (32-bit). Rufus is now burning it to an SD card.
Device Manager shows that the computer is an ACPI x86-based PC, so I think it does not support 64-bit Linux.
wallyUSA wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 pm why would you want to keep Vista?
If Vista is deleted and Linux does not work, the PC will be unusable.
wallyUSA wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:50 pm So what is your objective?
I want dual boot. I have never done so, so can you teach me step by step? I am Linux illiterate.
Flemur wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm That's good if true - but MAKE SURE. It matters.
I went to the BIOS, which did not support UEFI.
Flemur wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm "something else" install = you tell it everything, which should be pretty easy
That's easy for you to say.
Flemur wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm --take the space from partition N and format most of it to ext4.
Can you tell me exactly how much space? Should I format 95 GB to ext4 and use the rest for a swap partition? The free space on partition N is 99.8 GB.
Flemur wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm keep track of which partition is which to you can ID this one N: (by the size if you don't know the /dev/sdaX, X=1,2,3...). N: will become the "/" and swap partition.
I don't understand it. What should I do actually?
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@Matthew:
If you do not need Vista, I recommend you git rid of it. Linux does work and there are many, many options, even with Mint. Vista will slow you down. It is 10 years old, has software that is not up-to-date and puts you at risk! A clean install of Linux will make it feel more like a new system and all the resources will be available for Linux to use.

If you still want to do a dual boot, I would suggest you modify the title of this post to include (DUAL BOOT) or start a new thread with a more appropriate title. I am not a techie, so I can not help with your current disk config. Perhaps FLEMUR's advice above will help you. I have always taken the flush approach, flush it & start over with an empty system.

Good luck. Keep searching on the forum and/or asking for help. I am sure someone will give you the answer!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Matthew_Wai wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:34 am
Flemur wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm "something else" install = you tell it everything, which should be pretty easy
That's easy for you to say.
Because it really is easy.
Flemur wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm --take the space from partition N and format most of it to ext4.
Can you tell me exactly how much space? Should I format 95 GB to ext4 and use the rest for a swap partition?
The free space on partition N is 99.8 GB. [/quote]
Swap = 1.5* your memory size. I'm too lazy to look up your computer and figure out how much memory it has.
Partition for "/" = (99.8 GB) - sizeof swap partition.
Flemur wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm keep track of which partition is which to you can ID this one N: (by the size if you don't know the /dev/sdaX, X=1,2,3...). N: will become the "/" and swap partition.
I don't understand it. What should I do actually?[/quote]
Remember that the partition you're going to install onto is about 100GB and not 191GB or 6GB.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Matthew_Wai,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Linux Mint was designed with various installation options including to be installed alongside an existing operating system, or to replace it. Read their release and installation notes from the download page.

Although the computer has a 32-bit version of MS Windows on it, the processor (CPU) might be 64-bit. If you boot up to the Linux Mint Live test drive installation disc or USB stick, bring up a console terminal, and type in "inxi -Fxzd" and post those results or look under the CPU category for flags and if "lm" is in that, then your CPU is actually 64-bit and you can and should use a 64-bit version of Linux Mint.
sample wrote: CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E8400 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11970
clock speeds: max: 2992 MHz 1: 2992 MHz 2: 2992 MHz
Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

wallyUSA wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:03 am Vista will slow you down. It is 10 years old, has software that is not up-to-date and puts you at risk! A clean install of Linux will make it feel more like a new system and all the resources will be available for Linux to use.
Keeping Vista in a dual boot system does not slow down the Linux based OS that is also installed, at all. It just takes up a little space.
And if the poster later decides that they do not need Vista after all, they can pretty easily delete Vista then, and make the whole disk available for Linux to use.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Is it possible to install Linux onto the hard disk without deleting Windows Vista?

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Thanks to all of you. I have already installed Linux by the option "Install Linux Mint alongside them".
I am now running Mint, but I can't find "GParted". Where is it?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [SOLVED] Is it possible to install Linux onto the hard disk without deleting Windows Vista?

Post by jimallyn »

Matthew_Wai wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 pm I am now running Mint, but I can't find "GParted". Where is it?
Gparted is included on the "live" install disk, but not in a standard install. You will have to install it with Software Manager or Synaptic.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

https://www.google.com/chrome/?platform=linux
On my Linux, Chrome can't be downloaded above but can be downloaded below.
https://google-chrome.en.uptodown.com/ubuntu
However, after installation, Chrome crashed whenever I ran it. Any solution?
Chrome 56.0 or above is needed to play the videos below.
https://www.mytvsuper.com/tc/freezone/l ... /cat_pearl
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Matthew_Wai, .......
Matthew_Wai wrote:...
Since March 2016, Google stopped supporting 32bit Chrome for Linux.

Some websites do not support Chrome 42 or older.

Try Firefox or Slimjet 32bit(= a Chrome clone). Otherwise, you will have to use 32bit Chrome for Windows or MacOS. If your computer is 64bit(= post-2005), try reinstalling the OS in 64bit = use 64bit Chrome for Linux which is still supported by Google.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

This past few months I have updated several office systems to dual boot LM 64 Cinnamon and either Vista or Win7. I installed from a live flash drive. The total machine count has been 38. The owners wanted to keep the Windows files beside being backed up. I went through the bios and had no difficulty. Most were 32 bit Windows machines but all were capable of running a 64 bit data buss with 64 bit processors. Many of them were dual core with a minimum of 2-8 GB RAM.
After the dual boot install, the IE was removed and Mozilla installed. Libreoffice for Windows was installed after the Windows office was removed. McAffee and Norton and Kaspersky was removed. Mozilla was firewalled to not allow MS updates.
In most cases I was able to split the HDD between LM and Windex Half and half since the Windex was only using about 10-20% of the HDD space in 1 TB drives.
Absolutely no problems, although there are a lot of e-mails to the accounts demanding payments to the windows accounts that no longer exist. Even phone calls on the land lines.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Matthew_Wai wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 pm Thanks to all of you. I have already installed Linux by the option "Install Linux Mint alongside them".
I am now running Mint, but I can't find "GParted". Where is it?
Good job on installing LM!

When you get a moment, in a terminal enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fzx
and then post the results inside the code tags that the "</>" button creates.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

phd21 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:47 amAlthough the computer has a 32-bit version of MS Windows on it, the processor (CPU) might be 64-bit.
I have an SD card containing Lubuntu 16.1 64-bit for standard PC. I did not burn the ISO onto the card. Instead, I made it bootable by this method. I can boot my ASUS PC, which supports UEFI, from that card, but I cannot boot the HP PC, which does not support UEFI, from it. Does it go to show that the HP PC does not support 64-bit Linux or UEFI boot mode?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Matthew_Wai, .......
The HP Pavilion v7078hk is a 64bit computer but the NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE graphics card requires the following fix, in order to be booted ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
For Nvidia, if still unsuccessful, try modprobe.blacklist=nouveau .

You can install LM 64bit alongside Win Vista 32bit on the internal hard drive.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

@ michael louwe,

Ten minutes ago, I removed the NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE graphics card and tried to use the integrated graphics "Intel GMA 950".
Now, I have booted the HP computer into LM 32-bit. Do you think "Intel GMA 950" supports LM 64-bit?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Matthew_Wai, .......
Certain computers cannot boot SD cards that have an ISO file in them, ie can only read the files. Try putting the bootable SD card or microSD card inside a USB card-reader or USB adapter. ... https://www.google.com.my/search?q=micr ... YQ_AUICigB

It is the CPU and motherboard which determine whether the computer is 32bit or 64bit. 64bit computers can run both 64bit and 32bit OS/software. Pre-2005 32bit computers can run 32bit and 16bit OS/software, but there are no longer any 16bit OS/software available for download. In a few years time, there will no longer be any 32bit OS/software available.
....... So, this is not determined by the Intel GMA 950 graphics card.

The HP computer should be able to run 64bit Linux.
....... Nevertheless, the Acer TravelMate 8573 could only run 32bit Linux, as per ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=263605
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

I just successfully booted it from the SD card containing an ISO of LM 64-bit. However, when I tried to install it, it said “No root file system defined”.
How can I solve it?
Error.jpg
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Bingo! I am now running Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - Cinnamon (64-bit). I solved the problem by using the following settings:

Solution.jpg

Thanks to all of you!
Another problem: I cannot download Google Chrome. The downloading always fails.

Return to “Installation & Boot”