Installing Mint 18.3 on separate internal hard drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flying Walrus

Installing Mint 18.3 on separate internal hard drive

Post by Flying Walrus »

First of all I'm new to linux, so i may not know something basic. But basically what I have is a computer with an ssd with windows installed, a 2Tb hard drive with files for windows/general programs, and a 500Gb hard drive that was empty and wanted to install Mint on. My goal is to have windows on the ssd and 2Tb hard drive and it boot by default, but when i wanted to use Mint i would go to the bios and change the boot order to boot linux instead of windows. This is so i dont have to go through a boot chooser every time I boot as i wont use Mint that often. I expected this to work similarly to having Mint installed on an external hard drive or USB as i have read about people doing frequently.

So what I've done so far is I have installed Mint 18.3 to a live boot USB and then used that to try to install Mint. My graphics card gave errors when it tried to load the live version, so i used the console and used the line "nomodeset" which fixes the error and allows the live version to run. I then attempt to install Mint through the installer but interestingly it does not recognize i have windows installed on this computer. Despite this i continued with the install partitioning up the 500Gb drive for Mint, not touching anything on the ssd or 2Tb drive, as to not affect the windows installation. The installation appeared to complete just fine and said I need to restart to run it off of the live version. When i restarted I removed my boot USB and changed the load order the 500Gb drive, I couldn't see a Mint or Grub loader in boot order for some reason either. When i then continued to boot the computer failed to boot and just stayed at a black screen. After this I believed it to just have not installed correctly so I went through the exact same process as above to reinstall it, however this time the installer noticed and said that Mint 18.3 was already installed (still it didn't mention the windows install). Despite this i reinstalled and got the exact same result as before when trying to boot the same way. As a side note windows can no longer access or recognize the 500Gb drive in file explorer but does notice it under devices, however I'm almost certain this is because I set full disk encryption on during the install. I also verified the 500Gb drive worked before installing mint by running it in windows.

Just wanted to ask if what i want to accomplish via this installation is possible and if so how it can be done, and also what i have done incorrectly during my install. Very keen to learn more about and use Mint so any help is greatly appreciated and I'm also sorry if this is posted in the incorrect area. Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Installing Mint 18.3 on separate internal hard drive

Post by kukamuumuka »

Where did you install grub? The next terminal-command tells.

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l 2>/dev/null | egrep "Disk /|/dev/" | sed "s#^/dev/#Part /dev/#" | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/://' | xargs -n1 -iX sudo sh -c "dd if=X count=1 2>/dev/null | grep GRUB > /dev/null && echo Grub found: X || echo no Grub: X"
michael louwe

Re: Installing Mint 18.3 on separate internal hard drive

Post by michael louwe »

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444 (READ: How To Get Help!)

Eg we need to know whether you have a UEFI or Legacy BIOS computer or Win 10/8.x or Win 7 installed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”