[SOLVED]GRUB Rescue and normal.mod

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anvo

[SOLVED]GRUB Rescue and normal.mod

Post by anvo »

I was trying to clone my Linux Mint 18.3 hard disk using Clonezilla 2.5.2-31, but I think my choise to copy the MBR from the source to the target disk somehow destroyed the MBRs in both disks: no matter what disk I boot from I end up in a GRUB Rescue prompt with a message about a missing /boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod just above it!

I did a search and I discovered some workarounds, and now I'm at the following point: under grub rescue prompt I issue "set prefix=(hd1,msdos2)/boot/grub/", "set root=(hd1,msdos2)" and "insmod normal" without any error... The next command, "normal", the guides suggest passes me directly to a... normal Linux Mint boot, and does not let me complete the rest of the commands the guides give: "insmod linux", "linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2", "initrd /initrd.img" and finally "boot". The thing is, even after booting to Linux Mint after "normal" command, the Grub seems not fixed and on the next boot I'm prompted again and again to GRUB Rescue and I have to enter all four commands from the beginning!!!

How do I proceed, after booting my Linux Mint, in fixing the Grub installation and/or configuration...?

Is copying the MBR to the target disk that bad an option under Clonezilla...? What exactly might be happened...?
Thanx!
George
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: GRUB Rescue and normal.mod

Post by austin.texas »

It is good that you can boot into Mint with the "normal", as you described.
After booting into Mint, run the commands:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
You are booting /dev/sdb right???

Then:

sudo  update-initramfs -u
That should be all you need.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
anvo

Re: GRUB Rescue and normal.mod

Post by anvo »

Hey, austin.texas!

It didn't work! The only difference is that now I'm getting the GRUB Boot Menu after I enter again the four commands of my original message... Weird situation!

Thanx for your help, though...
George

[Edit] I just rebooted and now the GRUB Boot Menu did not show up, just Linux Mint boot...!!!
anvo

Re:GRUB Rescue and normal.mod

Post by anvo »

The problem is fixed after I installed and run boot-repair software as per instructions in [This thread]https://forums.linuxmint.c ... 6&t=207529

It would be useful to know what commands run _behind_ boor-repair...
George.

Return to “Installation & Boot”