Regaining grub control (multiboot)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marlenejo

Regaining grub control (multiboot)

Post by marlenejo »

I have a three multi-boot OS system, Mint 18.3, Xubuntu 17.10 and windows 7. Xubuntu reside on an SSD which I will like to remove for another computer. I can delete its partitions from Mint however since Xubuntu was installed after Mint, it seems to own the grub loader and no MInt kernel update will register in grub until I re-run a grub update on Xubuntu (grub-customizer) . Then the new MInt kernel will register in the boot menu.

Now I am afraid that by just removing Xubuntu partitions (or the drive), I still won't be able run kernel update from Mint to register. My question is how to get Mint to safely regain grub control before/after the deletions or removal ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Regaining grub control (multiboot)

Post by kyphi »

You will have to edit /etc/fstab and remove the UUID entry for the drive you have removed and then run update-grub. If necessary you can rewrite the MBR pointing to Mint using Grub-customizer.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

kyphi wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:24 pm You will have to edit /etc/fstab and remove the UUID entry for the drive you have removed and then run update-grub. If necessary you can rewrite the MBR pointing to Mint using Grub-customizer.
In Mint, that drive (xubuntu) is not mounted in /etc/fstab and not use in Mint. I think "saving" in grub-customizer is the same as the "update-grub" command.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Assuming Mint is on sda:

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
Then:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Please wait for confirmation on this as I only have experience with single drives.

This is from within Mint.

Return to “Installation & Boot”