Boot failure [solved but why?]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Boot failure [solved but why?]

Post by AndyMH »

Just upgraded my T430 from 8G (2x4) to 16G (2x8) RAM. Removed battery, took out ultrabay (normally a CD drive, in my case a 1TB HDD used for backup), removed keyboard, put in new RAM. Replaced keyboard, put battery back in, booted to be presented with:

Code: Select all

[1.713620] tpm tpm0: A TPM error (6) occured attempting to read a PCR value
[2.426934] [drm:intel_set_pch_fifo_underrun_reporting [1915] *ERROR* uncleared pch fifo underrun on pch transcoder A
[2.426956] [drim: intel_pch_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [1915] *ERROR* PCH transcoder A FIFO underrun 
Welcome to emergency mode! After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view
system logs,"systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or ^D to
try again to boot into default mode.
Give root password for maintenance
(or press Control-D to continue):
root@T430 ~ #
???? had a look at journalctl -xb, lots of it and nothing obvious. To cut a long story short, put ultrabay back in, rebooted and everything okay. The HDD in the ultrabay is mounted in my fstab with:

Code: Select all

# mount point for HDD in ultrabay, added 3 feb 18
UUID=5cdf25ee-93ed-41a0-96f5-31ff2f85862c /media/Ultrabay ext4 defaults 0 2
Kinda thought that if mint couldn't find it, it would skip over it and onto the next thing (as it's not / or /home), obviously wrong. Should I be changing my fstab entry to make it ''plugable' or what did I do/assume wrong? Academic only as it's all working now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
WharfRat

Re: Boot failure [solved but why?]

Post by WharfRat »

That's strange given that the errors appear to be graphics related :?

You might want to try the nofail mount option in your fstab entry and see if that happens again with the 1TB HDD removed.
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

Disable TPM in BIOS? (security chip)
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

If an entry set to automount in /etc/fstab is missing at boot time, you'll be met with a crash, or at least, that's been my experience. I may be remembering incorrectly, however. (it's 2:12am... :lol:)
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Having been googling fstab, I think you're right, I'll try nofail and see what happens.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

If you don't want it to automatically mount at startup, there's (usually) no need for that entry in fstab. You could just comment it out. It's useful if you want to set specific mount options and you'd like to mount it with the mount command as a regular user, but then you can just use udisksctl which is for that purpose. I personally don't have entries in fstab unless I want to set specific, stricter mount options and want them to be available at startup, such as /proc, /tmp (via tmpfs), /home, and of course /.

I agree with the nofail bit though. The Arch Wiki states this:
External devices that are to be mounted when present but ignored if absent may require the nofail option.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Installation & Boot”