SOLVED !! -- Installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon but cannot boot Windows 8.1 anymore

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AzdeBuzz

SOLVED !! -- Installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon but cannot boot Windows 8.1 anymore

Post by AzdeBuzz »

Hello friends

Hope this finds you well.

I installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on my HP Envy DV6 laptop (8GB RAM, 800 GB ROM, intel Core i5 2.5 GHz) which usually runs on Windows 8.1.

My Windows 8.1 was working fine and I want to learn about Linux and move further into it with time.

Therefore, during the installation process of Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, I thought I had chosen the option of being able to boot either Linux Mint 18.3 OR Windows 8.1; This, in order to get the required experience before making a full switch.

But I must have done something wrong because I do not get the option of loading Win 8.1 when I restart my laptop.

I only get the option of Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.

My hope here is to find a way to get the option of loading either OS when I start my PC.

After a lot of reading and videos, it seems the problem might( I insight : MIGHT) be an overwritten partition on the memory where Win 8.1 was originally written.
I'm not sure however because I saw at some point that the partition is still there and that Win 8.1 is still there somewhere.
It also seems the solution might come from here : http://www.partition-recovery.com/download.html
Which is a place where I downloaded a Partition Recovery Tool Kit.
My choice for this eventual avenue towards a solution is based on a hunch and not on experience.

Therefore, before I even use it (and potentially do more harm than good) I would like to know if anyone has experience with such an issue and could eventually share a solution ?

Many thanks !!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon but cannot boot Windows 8.1 anymore

Post by Pepi »

No expert here but you could boot into Mint and run sudo update-grub Maybe then the other partition will show up :?:
Last edited by Pepi on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

There are a few things that can be wrong.
1. Did you install in uefi mode both Mint and windows need to be install in the same boot mode in order to boot both.
2. you can try this boot to mint and in a terminal type this command:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
see if that finds windows 8.1.
3. you can try running boot-repair from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair use option 2 and make sure you note the webpage given at the end of the run. as it will contain a log of what it did and if it did not fix the problem may contain important information that may lead to a resolution. Also during the run it may indicate that you need to make changes in your boot partitions follow the advice given.

4. grub and boot repair have a hard time or can not read gpt partitions so you may have to change that if it's being used for windows side.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Another vote for sudo update-grub. Two things to know, AzdeBuzz. First, this is one of the safest commands you can possibly run, so definitely give it a try. Second, in Linux, when you enter your password in Terminal nothing will display, not even asterisks. Go ahead, type the password and hit enter. If you've typed it correctly, the command will run. If not, try again being especially careful. On the bright side, each time you enter the password covers five minutes worth of sudo commands, so usually you end up only having to enter it once for any particular set of tasks.

By the way, if you haven't already, you should save an image backup of your Windows system (see Control Panel - Backup & Restore) just in case you some day need to use the nuclear option to get your system back. Doubt the current problem is serious - needing to update grub after a new installation is common - but it's a form of insurance you really should have anyway (independent of the Linux installation).
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

After running sudo update-grub in the Mint terminal and you do NOT find Windows as a bootable option in the grub menu next time you boot but BEFORE you try a boot repair ( this is a nightmare when dealing with windows ) install Gparted from the software manager and use it to make a screen shot of your drive partition table and post the image back here. ( You''ll probably need to re-size the image smaller before the forum will accept it ). With more details its will be easier for us to direct you in the proper course of action. Running a boot repair without 'having all the facts' could leave you with a completely un-bootable Linux too.
AzdeBuzz

Post by AzdeBuzz »

Thank you all so very much for all your suggestions.

I'll try the solution mostly mentioned here.
Which is : sudo update-grub

And I'll let you know how it went.

In the meantime I share the screenshot of my partition here.

Thank you so very much !
AzdeBuzz

Post by AzdeBuzz »

Thank you all.

The problem is solved.

In the Terminal, rhe command :
sudo update-grub

Worked just fine.

I've been able to load into Win 8.1 and now back here in Linux Mint.

I would like to know what I did wrong while installing Linux Mint though.

How can I know if my Win 8.1 and Linux Mint were installed in different modes ?

Where do I verify in which mode Windows was installed ?

AND

Where do I make sure - during installation - that Linux is being installed in such and such mode ?

I'm asking this because I suspect that is what might have caused this problem.

Many thanks !
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

AzdeBuzz wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:08 am Where do I verify in which mode Windows was installed ?
AND
Where do I make sure - during installation - that Linux is being installed in such and such mode ?
I'm asking this because I suspect that is what might have caused this problem.
No - installing in the wrong mode was not the problem. The fact that sudo update-grub made a difference proves that is not the case.
Windows is configured so that when installing to a GPT partitioned drive, it automatically installs in UEFI mode, and when Windows is installed to a msdos partitioned drive, it always installs in Legacy (non-UEFI) mode. There is no way to change that behavior. So when you see Windows installed on a msdos partitioned drive, like your's, you know it is in Legacy mode.

You can boot into Windows and check the mode using these instructions -
Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type msinfo32, and press Enter.
In the right pane of System Summary in System Information, see if the BIOS Mode value says Legacy or UEFI.
msinfo32.jpg
In Mint, you can check by opening a terminal and running this command:

Code: Select all

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "Currently in EFI mode" || echo "Currently in Legacy mode"
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
AzdeBuzz

Post by AzdeBuzz »

Thank you very much Austin.Texas.

I'll follow your guidance and take a look.

Thank you to everyone !
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Glad it's working for you :)
Please take a moment and mark the thread as <SOLVED> by editing the original post's subject line - Thank You :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

FWIW, I had the update grub problem with dual install to a BIOS machine (formerly Win7). Sometimes it just happens.

By the way, I notice you ended up with only 40 GB for Mint on your hard drive. Meanwhile, Windows has 800 GB of unused space. Before you go much further, except maybe to give Mint a few days worth of test drive, I'd seriously consider redoing the installation while modifying the partition scheme. This is a separate topic, so open a new thread. Definitely get advice before pursuing such a strategy. And do make that image backup I mentioned at your earliest convenience.
AzdeBuzz

Post by AzdeBuzz »

Hello all !

KC1D : Ok noted. Will do that now. Thank you ! :-)

PBear : Yes I'll look into the disk partition issue. Thanks for picking up on this.
And also, as soon as I first read your advice about the Windows image backup, I instantly started the procedure to do it.
I ran into a problem because Windows would not let me choose where to save the image backup. I was being imposed to save it on my PC while I want to save it on an external device (this is the whole point of the exercise).
So I'll try again and open a new topic for this specific issue.
Many many thanks for this advice. Much appreciated !
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

AzdeBuzz wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:57 am Hello all !

KC1D : Ok noted. Will do that now. Thank you ! :-)

PBear : Yes I'll look into the disk partition issue. Thanks for picking up on this.
And also, as soon as I first read your advice about the Windows image backup, I instantly started the procedure to do it.
I ran into a problem because Windows would not let me choose where to save the image backup. I was being imposed to save it on my PC while I want to save it on an external device (this is the whole point of the exercise).
So I'll try again and open a new topic for this specific issue.
Many many thanks for this advice. Much appreciated !
if you use Macrium Reflect Free, you can save it to any device, ExtUSB HDD is my preference

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Redo is an option also http://redobackup.org/download.php
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AzdeBuzz

Re: SOLVED !! -- Installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon but cannot boot Windows 8.1 anymore

Post by AzdeBuzz »

AZgl1500 : Actually it is fine now.
Windows is allowing me to choose other devices to save the Windows image backup.

I'll open a new separate topic for it if necessary.

Many thanks for your time and efforts !
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: SOLVED !! -- Installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon but cannot boot Windows 8.1 anymore

Post by AZgl1800 »

I don't trust the Windows version,

I much prefer to use a good solid utility like Macrium Reflect.
In either case, just make triple darn sure that you have created the Recovery Disk.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AzdeBuzz

Post by AzdeBuzz »

Ok well noted AZgl

Many thanks for your time !
AzdeBuzz

Post by AzdeBuzz »

Where do I create a New Topic please ?

I cant find it....

Thanks
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

AzdeBuzz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 am Where do I create a New Topic please ?

I cant find it....

Thanks
First make sure you have the correct forum to place it in.

then on the left side, there is a button "New Topic"

That button will not show up in a general "New Posts" or "Unread Posts", only when you are actually viewing a specific forum.

New Topic.png
AzdeBuzz

Post by AzdeBuzz »

AZgl :
Ok well noted

Many thanks !

Return to “Installation & Boot”