Boot Problems - Can't get past splash screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iglesdavid

Boot Problems - Can't get past splash screen

Post by iglesdavid »

Good Day All,

I have been having a multi-day problem with my LM18.3 installation.
I had installed the latest nVidia driver (390) for my laptop, but when that wouldn't work I purged them and reinstalled nouveau.
However, I can no longer get it past the splash screen - without nomodeset.
Nouveau packages are installed, it's not modprobed out in any file I know of.

I need help.
I have a livecd that I can boot from to get to a browser, but I don't have access to my fs.
Reformatting isn't an option as I have a vbox windows that hosts my work software, but I have backups that are 3 weeks old (I know)

I simply want to get back to normal.

Thanks,
ID
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iglesdavid

Re: Boot Problems - Can't get past splash screen

Post by iglesdavid »

Switched out lightdm for MDM and it went to fallback mode. Updated graphics driver, now stuck at beginning again
Mattyboy

Re: Boot Problems - Can't get past splash screen

Post by Mattyboy »

The current driver for Linux is NIVIDIA 384.111 .... so guessing you downloaded from the NIVIDA site? Yeah don't do that as you've discovered it will mess up your system.

Boot using nomodeset then purge all remaining NIVIDIA packages

Search what packages from nvidia you have installed.

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
Then

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
Use the search again to see if you missed any. The * is the wildcard and should remove anything called NIVIDIA

Reboot again using nomodeset then go to Driver manager and install the recommended 384.111 driver and a final, normal, reboot.

Installing video drivers from anywhere but the driver manager will give you headaches. Trust the Mint devs, they know what they're doing.

Return to “Installation & Boot”