Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Grub After Update [SOLVED]

Post by rgand » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:11 pm

I have two installations of Linux Mint Cinnamon on my computer. One is my main boot and one as a backup or to test things on. I upgraded my main one from 18.2 to 18.3 and it works fine. I just upgraded my second boot from 18.2 to 18.3 and it works fine. Somehow I missed the prompt to keep the old grub files and now it boots to the grub menu from the second installation. I booted to the other instance (my main one) and updated the grub menu but it still boots to the other grub file. This isn't a major issue except for the order of boot and the background I loaded into the menu so I could tell which it was using.

Anyway, how do I get the computer to read the other grub menu in my main installation? Thanks for any help on this.
Last edited by rgand on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Grub After Update

Post by rgand » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:22 pm

I just remembered that I have two drives in this computer and I may have to re-order the boot sequence to get it booting correctly. I'll report back after I have had a chance to try that.

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Grub After Update

Post by rgand » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:39 pm

OK, all I had to do was re-order the boot sequence in the bios to read the primary drive first. Everything works fine. It surprises me that the upgrade reordered that. I guess it read the second drive as though it was the main one. Hmmm..... well, the solution is all that matters here.

Return to “Installation & Boot”